New Turntable Set-Up... HELP!

Hello everyone,

My name is Brett and I'm brand new to the vinyl scene. I was recently gifted a U-Turn Orbit Basic for my birthday and bought a pre-amp and powered speakers for my set-up. In fact, UPS just dropped them off today! Of course, I was extremely excited to put everything together and begin listening to my beginner record collection (Rise Against,  Aerosmith and Bruce Springsteen to start). I dropped the needle on the record for the first time and the sound is coming and going. The music plays for about a second, then it goes blank for a second. Like clockwork. Of course, as frustration rose, I began trying different cables to see if they were the problem to no avail. I did a few Google searches and couldn't seem to find anyone in my situation on the Internet (hard to believe right?). So, I searched for a forum and found Vinyl Collective and figured someone on here could help me with my situation (and figured this wouldn't be a bad time to introduce myself to the community!). Below I will try and map out my set-up. Any and all feedback/advise is much appreciated! 

U-Turn Orbit Basic (no pre-amp) --- RCA Cable --- Behringer PP400 pre-amp --- RCA Cable --- Micca PB42X powered speakers

I have submitted an inquiry to Micca support in the meantime. Without a record spinning and simply having the speakers plugged in to the outlet (without connection to the pre-amp), I can hear the low buzz indicating power going in and out. 

6 hours ago, pemulis said:

Have you correctly adjusted the weight on the tone arm? Might be jumping off the vinyl. 

U-Turn comes preset, but that does not mean that it not still incorrect.

Have you tried another source to the speakers, to see if it could be them? Try it without the preamp, which will be really quiet, but you should be able to hear if it's still cutting out. That'll help you track down which component in the chain it is. It could also be bad wiring on the turntable, which U-Turn is supposed to have great customer service, so I'm sure they'd send you a replacement asap.

9 hours ago, pemulis said:

Have you correctly adjusted the weight on the tone arm? Might be jumping off the vinyl. 

I have not adjusted the tone arm at all.

3 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

U-Turn comes preset, but that does not mean that it not still incorrect.

Have you tried another source to the speakers, to see if it could be them? Try it without the preamp, which will be really quiet, but you should be able to hear if it's still cutting out. That'll help you track down which component in the chain it is. It could also be bad wiring on the turntable, which U-Turn is supposed to have great customer service, so I'm sure they'd send you a replacement asap.

Last night I unplugged everything from the speakers (including preamp) besides their power. I turned on the speaker and with the volume raised I could hear that low "hum" noise going in and out like the power was going on and off.  Thanks again everyone for the help, hopefully I'm painting an accurate picture since my terminology is lacking a little. 

6 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Sounds like bad speakers to me. I'd still try hooking up another source (mp3 player, phone, computer, etc) to verify the sound still cuts out.

I'll be sure to try this after work today. Just sucks getting hyped up when you finally have all the pieces of your setup and you received faulty equipment. Oh well, hopefully Micca has good customer service. Apologies in advance if this thread should have been put into one of the pinned threads rather than on its own.

7 hours ago, Tardcore said:

I'm considering returning them, simply because Micca support means they respond once per every 24 hours and even if it's just a yes/no question, you wait another 24 hours to hear another response. I am open to any suggestions for speakers under $150