Gaslight Anthem - '59 Sound leaked!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....also how many lines from other peoples songs do they blatantly rip off this time around?

I'm not sure but there are a lot of really corny lines about girls with names nobody under 65 years old has. There's also lots of songs about driving and the night and summer and dancing and all sorts of other dumb shit. They write good songs, but I've always thought their lyrics were extremely contrived and cheesy.

PS- What are some of the "blatant ripoffs" you're referring to? I don't think I've noticed any so I'm curious.

If anyone can PM a .rar or .zip link to me, I would be very grateful as I don't have access to torrents.

I promise I will be buying it, as I've already pre-ordered it and it's too late to go back now (not that I would). Plus, I don't have much in my vinyl collection and I want to at least have this there.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. My Google searches were too advanced.. dumbing it down helped. Still downloading... I am shitting myself.

Is that Dicky Barrett doing the backing vocals on "The Patient Ferris Wheel"? I really like his voice but I really think those vocals detract from an otherwise awesome song.

i am pretty sure it is. i remember someone saying they saw him at their show right after they finished recording. good ear on that, i didnt even notice his fucking "FIGHT ABOUT IT"s

PS- What are some of the "blatant ripoffs" you're referring to? I don't think I've noticed any so I'm curious.

I've noticed lots of "ripoffs" from Bob Dylan. He has a song called It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), and Gaslight has a song that goes like this:

It's all right, man.

I'm only bleeding, man.

Stay hungry, stay free,

And do the best you can.

And apparently The Gaslight was a venue that Bob Dylan used to play at.

But I see it more as an homage than a ripoff.

I've noticed lots of "ripoffs" from Bob Dylan. He has a song called It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), and Gaslight has a song that goes like this:

It's all right, man.

I'm only bleeding, man.

Stay hungry, stay free,

And do the best you can.

And apparently The Gaslight was a venue that Bob Dylan used to play at.

But I see it more as an homage than a ripoff.

I would definitely see those examples as homages not ripoffs. They seem big on giving "mad props" to their influences... everything from name dropping Woody Gurthie and Joe Strummer to reworking their own version "Way Over Yonder".

I don't doubt that they have some ripoffs, though, I just haven't noticed any (probably because I don't recognize the references).

Yeah, the echo is a bit much. Do you think the leaked version is of a lesser quality?

Either way, I hardly give a shit. I probably wouldn't have noticed had you guys not pointed it out. I don't want this to ruin the whole thing for me. Hell, I put up with screaming in Rise Against for 4 years to hear the good stuff behind it. (Yes, I had a Rise Against phase).

Also... the new record is titled "The '59 Sound" and features a song called "Here's Looking at You, Kid" another titled "Film Noir" and yet another references Miles Davis. It's kind of kitschy, but I don't know if they're ripping anybody off. I think they're just making references to old shit. I bet if they had a time machine they'd grab a few punk records and just go live in 1955.

I kinda look at them the way I do the Murder City Devils. Spencer didn't sing about anything besides angels and drinking and truckers and sailors and cowboys but for their music was fucking awesome so I ignored the cheesy lyrics which would have otherwise annoyed the shit out of me.

Also... the new record is titled "The '59 Sound" and features a song called "Here's Looking at You, Kid" another titled "Film Noir" and yet another references Miles Davis. It's kind of kitschy, but I don't know if they're ripping anybody off. I think they're just making references to old shit. I bet if they had a time machine they'd grab a few punk records and just go live in 1955.

I kinda look at them the way I do the Murder City Devils. Spencer didn't sing about anything besides angels and drinking and truckers and sailors and cowboys but for their music was fucking awesome so I ignored the cheesy lyrics which would have otherwise annoyed the shit out of me.

It's just a little gimmick they've got, lots of bands have gimmicks and I never seem to mind. Hell, at least they sound like no other band I listen to and they're really refreshing whenever they come on on shuffle. And The Gaslight Anthem is the one band I like that could be shown to a person from any walk of life and they would at least admit they're good. I can't say that about any other band.

EDIT: Already more than used to the echo, and I'm on track 8 on my first time through. Album of the year.