Post Pics of your Setup (Turntable + Speakers)

corbet

Guest scriptedrain

This thread needs more pics of setups.

I feel really dumb, but I know nothing of "setting up." Words like receivers and output scare me. Can anyone walk me through all of this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your turn table is often hooked up to a "receiver", which basically allows multiple things to be hooked up to your speakers while it amplifies the sound of said things connected to the "receiver". It "outputs" the sound of whatever is playing and hooked up to the "receiver". Or it could "Output" a signal to another source if wanted. Pretty simple stuff.

Guest falloutcollapse

Mine is my turntable on the floor of my room with a bunch of clothes and shit around it, hooked into my mp3/CD boombox thing from Sharper Image. It's not image worthy at all.

What's a preamp?

Turntables have a very low signal output level, so a preamp is used to boost the signal to make it about the same level as a normal signal such as a CD player might output at. Also, if you are using a receiver, you may not need a preamp, as many receivers have a phono channel with a built in preamp. That is the case with most receivers.

^Beat me to it! :)

A preamp is something that brings a low-level signal to the same level as other inputs, generally into a receiver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preamp

If a turntable does not have a preamp in it, then your receiver has to be able to take phono inputs (which I usually assume when it has a phono option...). I don't actually know any more than that though, but if your turntable doesn't have a preamp, your receiver needs to have a phono input to work. Like everything else in the home theater world, you can spend an awful lot of money on a preamp. But you probably don't need to.

Hey Vinyl Collective, don't say I've never done anything for ya.

[image]

Time to go put this cable back.

UPDATE: Cable replaced. Kind of a close call. Either way, mission accomplished.

YES!

BRUTAL KNIGHTS!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I wasn't really into them at all before I saw them at this show:

[image]

I don't really know why I didn't like them that much. They are awesome live. Picked up that Seripop picture disc (which is actually spinning on that turntable in the picture). So good.

Guest scriptedrain

[image]

Left: Edge of Guitar Amp

Middle: 27" TV and External Speakers

Inside: 5-Disc Sony DVD Player, XBox 360 Elite (With a controller on each side), Records!...

All of the records you can see in there are in order as shown on the "Records" tab - just the 12" though. Our 7" are inside the right door (in order as shown) and everything under the "Oldies" tab is inside the stand on the right side (which has a Sony turntable on it). The 4 10"s are in there, as well.

(Edit: Oh, and in between there is a sub and a Jay - of Jay and Silent Bob - Dogma figurine)

YES!

BRUTAL KNIGHTS!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I wasn't really into them at all before I saw them at this show:

[image]

I don't really know why I didn't like them that much. They are awesome live. Picked up that Seripop picture disc (which is actually spinning on that turntable in the picture). So good.

I was at that same show.

That's where I got my copy as well.

Do you go out in Toronto much?

anyone have any experience with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Numark-TTUSB-Turnt....5237968& sr=1-1

running off of a POS portable turntable i got on sale at urban outfitters for $25, and some crappy dell pc speakers, but i just bought some decent boston acoustic speakers off of woot, so hopefully those will be decent.