Advice on Turntables

Hello All,

First time posting here.

I currently have a Denon Dp-300f with a Ortofon 2M Blue Cart and a Simaudio Moon 110lp V2 Phono Preamp.

I am looking at upgrading my TT and here are the tables that I am seriously considering.

I would say my budget is around $2500 max (slightly flexible but would ideally like to stay under)

Here are the tables that I am considering and would appreciate any feedback:

- MoFi Studio Deck with Hana SL MC

- Mofi Ultradeck with Hana SL MC or MasterTracker Cart

- Marantz TT-15s1 as is, with standard cart that it comes with

- EAT B-Sharp as is or Hana SL MC

- EAT C-Major with standard cart that it comes with

- Goldnote Valore 425 Plus with Donatello Red Cartridge

Looks are important to me and I would say these all look quite nice. The Marantz would probably be the best and exotic looking and then the EAT's probably would be next.

Although right now I think I am leaning towards the Goldnote. I have read good reviews and I also like it because it's not the norm (I tend to like things that are not as common sometimes).

I did see lightly used Marantz TT-15s1 available for $800 without cartridge. If I add a Hana SL, it would end up around the same price as a new Marantz but with a better cart so that is tempting. I just don't like that fact you have to add a dustcover.

I do not doubt the performance of any of these as they have all received great reviews.

Any feedback would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

I have had a Mofi Studiodeck for about a year now and have been very happy with it. It's rock solid and sounds great. I haven't had a single issue with it. When I did have a couple minor questions, Mofi responded to my emails within a couple hours. I did upgrade the cartridge to a Hana EL which I'm also totally satisfied with.

If I had your budget I would have no hesitation going with the Ultradeck with either the Mastertracker or the Hana MC depending on your phono preamp.

Hopefully you're able to audition some options before buying.

I have no firsthand experience with any of the other tables.

Good luck...it can be a maddening process at times.

Edited by Smellman

Looks like Audio Advice has an open box Ultra deck with Mastertracker for $1950.

I have never bought anything fom them personally but it might be worth looking into. They also have live chat.

https://www.audioadvice.com/mofi-electronics-open-box-ultradeck-turntable-mastertracker-mm.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAj-_xBRBjEiwAmRbqYrXkwSt3K_aTp0C7h2gob6wERJ80vvbaLM4o_ibg7-9gbt0VUV2sNhoCm6QQAvD_BwE

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally bought the Mofi Studiodeck with the Hana MC Cartridge (low output).

Have not had time to play much music yet this week (got it last Friday) but what I did play, it sounded very well to me so far.

@Smellman Got a Question for you. The only thing that I noticed about the Studiodeck is that when I power it on, it makes a noise when the motor starts (sound a bit unnerving to me). I wanted to see if you also experience the same thing?

Thanks

Congrats on the new turntable.

If you're talking about that chirping noise, it's totally normal. It's actually coming from the belt as it gains hold of the platter. It initially slips a bit causing that sound. It happens on a good number of belt-driven tables, especially VPIs. You can give the platter a little push to get it going before you hit the yellow power button to reduce the load on the belt and stop the chirping.

On an separate note, I would recommend making sure the bearing the platter fits on(photo below) is well lubricated. I use white lithium grease. There was word that early on some of them were shipped not properly lubed. Probably not the case at this point but it can't hurt to check.

spacer.png