NFL Discussion

Eh, I can see it going both ways. We have one more season with that dumb salary cap restriction on us.(Thanks Mara). The rest of the division is on kind of a downswing. We have also been very lucky with late round picks. I see us staying competitive. 

yeah, i really don't see dallas and the eagles posing any threats for a couple years. and right now, i have no clue what the giants identity is right now.

thats not something i would like to bank on,  morris is a freak of nature. and blah blah blah about shannahan and late round rbs.  he also looks better because of rg3 and defenses worrying about the option.

you can say that about any team and any draft.  if they can keep getting late round steals like Brady, then they'll do fine. 

Fair enough.

Honestly I was more impressed with Alfred Morris (and Doug Martin) than any of the three rookie QBs getting all the attention this season.

Fair enough.

Honestly I was more impressed with Alfred Morris (and Doug Martin) than any of the three rookie QBs getting all the attention this season.

I'm definitely impressed with Morris and Martin (particularly Morris), however; Martin was a first round pick and I've grown to expect starting running backs in the nfl, rookies in particular to be explosive and be able to perform at a high level.

The fact that 3 rookie QBs lead their team to the offseason really impressed me. Andrew Luck took a 2-14 to the playoffs (without their head coach being around), RGIII earned the respect of everyone of his teammates (all his elders) and was named team captain, and last, up until the season we expected to see matt flynn and not wilson.

I definitely think all the credit in the world is deserved to those 3 qbs.

where did Doug Martin take Tampa Bay this year?  Where did RGIII, Wilson and Luck take their teams this year? 

The worst team in that division had 7 wins this year. They beat each other up. They have some decent pieces and will have a chance to get in next year.

Wilson finished strong but that team got in because of their defense (#1 in NFL in points allowed / game). He didn't perform strongly all year.

Also, not to sound like "that guy" but we played most of the season without  4 of our starters and another guy who was supposed to make an impact. 

Do you think it might have been different yesterday with Brian Orakpo, Fred Davis, Brandon Meriweather, Jammal Brown or Tanard Jackson on the field?

Violent sport. Every team is going to rack up a few injuries to key players. Maybe a little more than average but yeah, those guys may have made a difference but can't play the if game.

Only time I really buy into that would be a team losing a great QB to injury, cause that can just decimate an offense's production.

Only time I really buy into that would be a team losing a great QB to injury, cause that can just decimate an offense's production.

Makes me curious to see what a Matt Stafford would be without a Calvin Johnson or Andy Dalton without AJ Green.

Another injury I could buy into why a team is losing would be AP.  That offense is completely geared around him.

he was 1 of 4 qbs with a 100+ passer rating and had 30 total tds. 

For sure. Not saying he was bad. He looks to have a bright future.

He also racked up 10 of those TDs in the final 3 games. He had 9 games with less than 200 yards passing. Yeah, he can run, but he was hundreds of yards behind Cam and RG3. Only 3 of his games had more than 50 rushing yards, which is about the threshold I would say for a quarterback making a real difference with his legs.

He was efficient and good, especially considering he was a 3rd rounder and not #1 or #2 like the other guys. Martin had a more impressive season from an individual point of view, though.

I think if the Lions lost Calvin but still had Burleson, Titus Young, Broyles, Pettigrew, Jahvid Best, they could win games. Stafford is #1 overall pick and if he plays up to that, they could be fine. We also happen to have a really good backup in Shaun Hill so I think we could win if Stafford went down. I think Calvin is the best player in football but if the goal is only to win games, I'd rather lose him than Stafford. QB is just too important.

AP is incredible but Gerhart could get you 100 yards, just not the 220 that AP does sometimes. If they Vikes lost AP and blamed the loss on that, yeah, it makes sense. The Vikes are more likely to win without AP than GB without Rodgers, Indy without Luck, Pats without Brady, etc...

The Vikes are more likely to win without AP than GB without Rodgers, Indy without Luck, Pats without Brady, etc...

bad comparison, AP isnt a QB like your other three.  Take AP out of the equation, the Vikes are more likely to win with Ponder than they are with Webb.  Period.  The Vikings would have not been blown out had Ponder been the QB on saturday night, the offense was one-dimensional because he was out, stop the run, stop the offense, and they did just that.  There is a reason why Webb had 3 snaps all season prior to the playoffs.

I think if the Lions lost Calvin but still had Burleson, Titus Young, Broyles, Pettigrew, Jahvid Best, they could win games. Stafford is #1 overall pick and if he plays up to that, they could be fine. We also happen to have a really good backup in Shaun Hill so I think we could win if Stafford went down. I think Calvin is the best player in football but if the goal is only to win games, I'd rather lose him than Stafford. QB is just too important.

AP is incredible but Gerhart could get you 100 yards, just not the 220 that AP does sometimes. If they Vikes lost AP and blamed the loss on that, yeah, it makes sense. The Vikes are more likely to win without AP than GB without Rodgers, Indy without Luck, Pats without Brady, etc...

I am going to agree with you about Rodgers, Luck, Brady, and probably a handful of others, but disagree with AP.  Gerhart could get 100 yards, but the way defenses have to respect AP, opens up a lot of other things.  Same goes for all the Detroit WRs and TEs.  They are good because Megatron draws extra attention that creates plays for others.

Stafford is a tough one. He had a bunch of injury riddled learning seasons to start his career. Last year, he looked like he could be part of the next generation of elite QBs after Brady, Brees, and Manning are done.

This year, he didn't look very good and only has stats because of offensive volume, not really great playmaking.

But assuming he is the player he looked like last year and not this year, he could lead the Lions to the playoffs without Calvin. He just can't have practice squad guys all over the field like he did at the end of this year.

But assuming he is the player he looked like last year and not this year, he could lead the Lions to the playoffs without Calvin. He just can't have practice squad guys all over the field like he did at the end of this year.

He had a crazy season last year and earned a 6 seed wild card spot.  You are telling me he could do that without Calvin Johnson now?  He averaged a TD and 100 yard each and every game that season.

He had a crazy season last year and earned a 6 seed wild card spot.  You are telling me he could do that without Calvin Johnson now?  He averaged a TD and 100 yard each and every game that season.

Well, he would need a defense too. But if he is a 5k yard passer with Calvin he is still a 4k+ passer without him. And that is plenty of production out of a QB as long as the turnovers are kept under control.

Can Matt Stafford lose Calvin and have his defense get torched all day and the Lions make the playoffs? No. He's not superman. That's kinda what Brees had this year and he couldn't pull it off, and Stafford isn't as good as Brees.