NFL Discussion

he's 38 and coming off an injury plagued season... you can have him. love him as a player, but he's not the player he was anymore.

Idk about that now, ya ill give you he's 36 and broke his collarbone last season. But the year prior he did pretty impressive. And compared to the corners that play for jacksonville he's way better than most expect for cox (who's really plagued by injury). I wouldn't be shocked if a bigger market team snatches him up just based on how he could help younger players and his ability to play different positions.

I see Woodson in New England or Denver

It's hard to say without knowing if he is a starter or a nickle corner. I don't really see Denver. They already have Champ Bailey and you don't want to be too old in your secondary. I like New England as a possibility. 

I'm gonna throw the Vikings out there as my projection. Maybe even New Orleans. I also don't know how other team's cap space looks.

Idk about that now, ya ill give you he's 36 and broke his collarbone last season. But the year prior he did pretty impressive. And compared to the corners that play for jacksonville he's way better than most expect for cox (who's really plagued by injury). I wouldn't be shocked if a bigger market team snatches him up just based on how he could help younger players and his ability to play different positions.

he''ll be 37 at the start of the season so we'll have to see.  it'll be 4 years removed from his 2009 D player of the year season.  he'd be a great mentor, but im not sure the on-field impact he'll be able to bring to a team

ESPN just texted me that the league is supplying an ipad app to help team doctors to diagnose concussions.

How freaking stupid. 50 years of concussions and health problems from a violent sport, a giant lawsuit from former players, tons of media attention, autopsies that show strong evidence of brain damage in deceased players (including a star player who shot himself), parents beginning to hold their children back from playing the sport, etc etc.

And the league's answer is to provide an ipad app to tell team doctors how to do a very basic function that they should be incredibly well trained on. Goodell really earning that $30 million a year...

The players know the risks going in. They are rewarded well for the work that they do and I think its more than a bit ridiculous that they complain after the big checks stop rolling in.

I disagree they knew the risks (in the past). They thought that concussions were headaches and blurry vision. They did not know they were causing brain damage that could potentially be fatal.

If you can't figure out that slamming your head into someone elses over and over again might not be great for you long term I don't have much sympathy for you. Protect yourself, don't rely on someone else to do it.

Helmet to helmet hits aren't allowed in the nfl for that reason, so try again.

Holding is also not allowed in the NFL, I am pretty sure I have seen it happen though. There are many times when helmets collide without it being a penalty. The impact of helmet to knee or turf can be just as bad as well.

Something bad might happen to you, you might also only need to work for about 5 years of your life to live more than comfortably. I think this is a trade off that most of us would take. I know I would without question,

Holding is also not allowed in the NFL, I am pretty sure I have seen it happen though. There are many times when helmets collide without it being a penalty. The impact of helmet to knee or turf can be just as bad as well.

Something bad might happen to you, you might also only need to work for about 5 years of your life to live more than comfortably. I think this is a trade off that most of us would take. I know I would without question,

Wrong again. Check out what non star players get. Deduct taxes. And don't forget that if you get Hurt before those five years you claim that you can live comfortably off they CUT you. Who's paying the medical bills now? There's countless players that are completely broke bc of this.

Not to mention you don't get finned out the ass and even suspended for holding.

You're trying to bash them for caring about their safety and making things better. It's ridiculous.

It's like saying. Pssshh airbags? Seat belts? We're going 80mph on the daily so were bound to crash sometime so why do we need that? Also if you get Hurt, it's your fault bc you knew the risks.

Fender bender or a head on collision.

I know the salary levels in the NFL. See where I said MIGHT. Yes it may not work out for you, just like any other profession and there are risks involved like many other professions.

I am not bashing them for caring about their safety, I am bashing them for saying "oh I didnt know that I might get hurt playing this game so now I need you to take care of me".

Not sure what you are saying in your last statement. I drive everyday, if someone wrecks into me I don't blame the state of Illinois for making the road.

there is still an incredibly easy solution for this that everyone loves to ignore. i've probably said it in here 5 times.

put a layer of nerf on the outside of the helmet. get over the aesthetics of it, and admit that it's the best option that the league has towards making everything safer.

The argument against the soft outer shells is that you get more friction and then players end up getting more chance of neck/spine injury.

Can you post a link to an article that says this? Not trying to just balk at it without giving it a full thought but it seems pretty dumb to me.

Also a nerf ball has marginally higher friction than a helmet. We aren't talking about putting velcro on the outside of helmets here.

Not sure what you are saying in your last statement. I drive everyday, if someone wrecks into me I don't blame the state of Illinois for making the road.

But what if the road you were on needed a stop sign? And new data showed it causes a ton of car wrecks and fatalities. It didn't have one before, much more have gone with minimal incident. Isn't the smart thing to do is put a safety precaution instead of let ppl repeatedly hurt themselves? And ultimately who's at fault?

Once proper data is analyzed and found out things have to change. Like concussion data is being uncovered now.

Coaches would often tell players they're fine when they arnt just to finish a game. RG3 listened to his medical staff and now might never play like he used to again after knee surgery. And he deserves compensation in my eyes.

When you're constantly told not to worry, everything is fine, you tend to believe it. Now the players union noticed no ones looking out for them and never have so they're stepping up.

What's so wrong with the players wanting more safety and security now that they are fully aware that a concussion isn't just a migraine, it can lead to long term brain damage. You think any line backer that looked up to Junior would have followed in his footsteps had they know he would eventually kill himself due to injury received playing a game he loved. Back when it was acceptable for the coach and staff to say "boy you're fine, now go finish the quater and win me a contract extension" not knowing if he was ok or not after a big hit.

We need more than a shitty app to rectify this issue and its going to be a while before the NFL gets it right.

Can you post a link to an article that says this? Not trying to just balk at it without giving it a full thought but it seems pretty dumb to me.

Also a nerf ball has marginally higher friction than a helmet. We aren't talking about putting velcro on the outside of helmets here.

I don't have a link to an article that talks about the issue in depth. I have read some articles about soft helmets or additional padding to be added to the exterior and the friction argument almost always comes up in the comments if not in the article. It does seem odd to me that if it were such a simple answer someone would have brought it into mainstream use by now in football, hockey, baseball, skiiing, cycling, lacrosse, skateboarding, etc. 

1. In this instance the stop sign is already on the road (its the no hitting to the helmet rule). Not everyone plays by the rules, that is not the fault of the rule maker.

2. Many times players lie to the medical staff to get back on the field. I'm not that familiar with the RGIII situation so I don't know what advice the staff gave him that you are saying put him in danger.

3. The players have every right to ask for more safety or rule changes, but if they choose to play the game with the current rules and regulations then they accept the risks associated.

4. I think what Seau did will change the career choice of very few if any people. People still want to be rich, play music, write novels, act in the movies even though some of the most famous people to do those things have killed themselves.

I don't want anyone to get hurt and if the game can be made safer while still being profitable the NFL should go for it. At some point they might change the game enough that I don't want to support it but its not my wallet or life on the line.