• Turntable
    Thorens TD166 MKII
  • Speakers
    Roth Oli + AKG k550 Headphones
  • Amplifiers
    Marantz PM5005
  • Turntable Cartridge
    Ortofon 2M Blue

So I am now wanting a little more from my system as I am moving it into my home office (small box room) and well fancy an upgrade. I mostly run my Cans to be honest but do like the option of playing through speakers from time to time when the baby is not asleep.

So would I be best keeping my current speakers as its a small box room and getting a new amp or doing a speaker upgrade. What will  give me more bang for my buck so to speak.......

I was looking at the Marantz PM6007 or some Q Acoustics 3030i's....... or is there another route I should go down.

Advise/help warmly received :)
Edited by LEUCISTIC

If you're using cans a lot more than speakers, I would look at getting a dedicated phono preamp and headphone amp. Have you looked at Schiit? They have decent stacks you could pick up for a good price...like the Mani (phono) and Magnius (headphone).  Then when the baby is older you could spend on quality speakers.

But if speakers are your thing, people do like that Q line. Is that your general price range? I'd also look at Wharfedale Evo 4.1 or their Denton 80.  Dali Oberon 3 could be good too.  Though I think the Dentons and Oberons are rear-ported, so if you're cramming them up tight against a wall, it might make the bass a little sloppy.

Edited by hoytis

• 1 month later...

I think a worthwhile upgrade would be a better stylus. Nothing wrong with the Blue, but swapping in a Black stylus, for example, should reduce distortion and get more out of the grooves. I don't have personal experience with the those Ortofons, but after using a JICO SAS for a few years I don't think I can ever go back to an elliptical stylus, they tend to distort noticeably more.