My Best Buy Vinyl Experience.

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is a duplicate, haven't been on much and well the search for "buy" (well with best) doesn't really bring the results...sooo....

Well I know we've all talked about so I finally broke down and ordered some vinyl from Best Buy. I had a gift card so I did it online, and it was pretty decent. I picked up the Flight of The Conchords LP. Shipping was decent, under $3 and pretty quick, took exactly 1 week from order date. It was packaged in an LP mailer with a little air bubble thing (can't really think of how else to describe it) so it would have a little protection. All in all, I was pretty pleased.

Just thought I'd share, if you're looking for something or have a gift card to use definitely worth it. It by no means is my official vinyl stop, but a great way to use some gift cards!

I was wondering about best buy's vinyl, though I'd probably pick it up instore to save on shipping.

Additionally, buying vinyl directly from amazon blows. They sent an LP to me in a box that was 2ft x 1 ft x 6 inches with only some of those "pillow / balloon" things for protection. Needless to say the LP was pretty messed up upon arrival, so I had to return it. 2nd time the LP was messed up though not as bad. I definitely wont be ordering direct from amazon again.

I can see on saving on shipping but seriously it was just about media mail prices if not lower. The best buy nearest me only has a crappy Who 2XLP (really beaten up), Coldplay-Viva La Vida 2XLP (also pretty shabby), and I can't remember the third LP. All of them are difficult to find in the store and are very beaten up mainly b/c everyone who looks at them kinda are like wtf is this?

So in short if I'm picking something up it'd be mail order because store selection sucks, at least by me.

I was wondering about best buy's vinyl, though I'd probably pick it up instore to save on shipping.

Additionally, buying vinyl directly from amazon blows. They sent an LP to me in a box that was 2ft x 1 ft x 6 inches with only some of those "pillow / balloon" things for protection. Needless to say the LP was pretty messed up upon arrival, so I had to return it. 2nd time the LP was messed up though not as bad. I definitely wont be ordering direct from amazon again.

i've ordered an LP through amazon before, it's definitely not ideal, but it's not entirely horrible. my record was shrinkwrapped to a piece of cardboard (how most orders from amazon arrive anyway), and it kept the record in fairly decent shape. not brand new condition, but maybe one you'd find in a record store that's been sitting there for a month or so.

completly disagree with the comments about amazon, granted i used amazon.co.uk, but all the records i've ordered from there have come packed well in mailers and ive never waited more than two working days. only downside was price.

When did BB start selling vinyl? Online only? I haven't been in a BB for a while.

I remember the first time I ever went into a Hot topic..which was a disaster..I was in Florida on vacation and when I asked if they carried vinyl the Goth kid at the desk pointed be to the pants...awesome.. But I guess what should I expect at a place like that. It was actually pretty comical. I did see they are going to have a exclusive release of Maybe I'll Catch Fire though so that's pretty cool.

Was the amazon vinyl you guys ordered, ordered from actual AMAZON, or from an indivudual selling through amazon.

Just wondering, there's a record I have only found on amazon, and it's "new in wrap". And it's been out of print for over 10 years.

The ones I've ordered have been from the actual Amazon and not sellers on there.

Guest afsdan

many years ago when REM's "up" album came out, if you bought the CD @ Best Buy on the day it came out, you got a bonus 7" with a non-album track. Pretty cool. My only purchase at Best Buy. Many, many thefts though.

Best Buy only really starting pushing vinyl earlier this year (not counting any freebie 7"s they were giving away with the purchase of a CD. they did that with REM and Pink Floyd a few years back). The Who's "Amazing Journey" double LP best of was one of the first (if not, THE first) LP that they actually promoted in their weekly ads. I've seen a few LPs pop up at my local Best Buys - The Who, Coldplay, Judas Priest, Radiohead Best of. I heard rumours that they were actually going to implement a vinyl section but I have yet to see that at any stores around here.

Was the amazon vinyl you guys ordered, ordered from actual AMAZON, or from an indivudual selling through amazon.

Just wondering, there's a record I have only found on amazon, and it's "new in wrap". And it's been out of print for over 10 years.

The ones I've ordered have been from the actual Amazon and not sellers on there.

Amazon is tricky. i have browsed the vinyl section and some of the sellers are idiots and list cds in the vinyl section. Even though i bought what was said to be vinyl when i got the email invoice and it said cd. i was lucky enough to cancel the order before it shipped but just be aware. also after i canceled the order and made a big ordeal with the seller i noticed he relisted the same item back in the vinyl section rather than in the cd section. fucking idiots.

i was going through some of my dad's old records and some had an older looking best buy sticker on them, so i guess they've been doing it for some time now, and just haven't really made a big deal out of promoting it since vinyl got replaced by cds and such.

Best buy was founded in the 60's. So its not too surprising to think that they sold vinyl at one point. I'll have to go through my old records to see if any of them have such a tag.

Also, great avatar.