national go topless protest day (08.23)

so apparently tomorrow is national go topless protest day. if i lived closer / wasn't too lazy, i'd go check it out. i'm all for equal rights and all that....

link nsfw i guess

http://www.gotopless.org/

What will happen that day? Across America, topless women and men will peacefully rally in the streets, parks, on the beaches of their towns and cities. Activities will start at NOON local time in each city

Topfree performances will be given by various artists to honor Women's Equalitly Day and to convey how natural it is to be topfree for women in public just like it is for men. Please write to us if you are an artist who would like to participate in one of our shows.

Gotopless is organizing major events in: --- starting time is NOON LOCAL TIME everywhere

"Participants in the gotopless event on August 23, 2008 are prohibited from engaging in any destructive or criminal conduct aside from the women's possible civil desobedience act of being topless in public."

LOS ANGELES: Venice Beach "Where Navy Street meets the sand" on the board walk

NEW YORK CITY: Central Park: Merchants Gate at Columbus Circle (59th Street at the corner of Central Park West and Central Park South), right by the giant Time Warner Mall

MIAMI: South Beach meeting time 12:30 PM -- 7th and Ocean Blvd across from News Cafe. Look for the topless women:))

CHICAGO Lakefront (across from Buckingham Fountain)

HAWAII: Honolulu and Hilo Big island

AUSTIN, TX: Hippie Hollow Park

BERKELEY, CA noon to 1pm Sproul Hall on the Mario Salvio famous "free speech" steps

SANTA FE, NM 1-2pm Alameda Park between Guadalupe and Sandoval

OMAHA NE "Heartland of America Park" near Downtown Omaha, Nebraska, and the parking lot is between Capitol Ave, and Douglas St. on 8th St. a link to the map is as follows. http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&q=41.25859%2C-95.926609

(starting time is not noon but 3PM for Omaha.

BLOOMINGTON, IN at the sample gates on campus at Kirkwood and Indiana

It's already legal in Canada. At least I know it is in Ontario. I'm not sure about the other provinces.

i believe its legal all throughout canada. remember hearing it in the news like 3 years ago. but i'm not positive on the law... do they need to be wearing a bra? cause i seem to think that for some reason. and if thats true then it kinda defeats the purpose. however someone will probably correct me.

either way i have yet to ever see someone walking around completely topless or in just a bra.

It's already legal in Canada. At least I know it is in Ontario. I'm not sure about the other provinces.

i believe its legal all throughout canada. remember hearing it in the news like 3 years ago. but i'm not positive on the law... do they need to be wearing a bra? cause i seem to think that for some reason. and if thats true then it kinda defeats the purpose. however someone will probably correct me.

either way i have yet to ever see someone walking around completely topless or in just a bra.

I was going to ask, even though it is legal, do people actually do it?

Imagine the sexual harassment you would likely endure.

It seems to me that at first it would be anarchy, but after a while, and people got used to it, it'd be much less of a big deal. I mean, people where all up in arms when bikinis first showed up, and now it's the "norm" nobody really bats an eye anymore. And look at European countries, most are a lot more comfortable with the human body than us Americans, and it doesn't seem to be an issue over there...

I visit Ontario about once a year (my grandparents live there). The area I visit is a town on Lake Huron where in the summer people swim and hang out on the beach. And even on the beach I haven't seen any women actually do it. :-/

It seems to me that at first it would be anarchy, but after a while, and people got used to it, it'd be much less of a big deal. I mean, people where all up in arms when bikinis first showed up, and now it's the "norm" nobody really bats an eye anymore. And look at European countries, most are a lot more comfortable with the human body than us Americans, and it doesn't seem to be an issue over there...

No I totally agree with you. But who wants to be those first few people to do it and get catcalled/harassed/groped at all day? Takes a stronger woman than I.