Delivery Confirmation with shipping 7"s 1st class

mrc

i went to mail out records that i have been selling on VC, deadformat and the nofxwiki boards and the lady at the post office refused to allow me to use delivery confirmation on 7"s that i packed between 2 pieces of cardboard and wrapped in a manila envelope.

She said it MUST be 3/4 an inch thick in order to get a delivery confirmation on packages being sent by 1st class (my packages were just shy of that mark.)

i always send 7"s that way and have never had a problem before. Have any of you guys had this problem before or have ever heard of this nonsense? Or was this lady just being a cunt?

let me know

thanks

Edit: I stand corrected... from a different forum:

Perhaps to make it less confusing, here are 2 questions that you can ask to determine if a First-Class mailpiece is a letter, a flat or a parcel:

Does this mailpiece exceed any of the dimensions of a letter (6 1/8" high x 11 ½" long x ¼" thick)? If not, then it is letter-size.

If it does exceed one or more of the dimensions, proceed to next question.

Does the mailpiece exceed any of the dimensions of a flat (12" high x 15" long x ¾" thick), or is it nonrectangular or rigid or non-uniform in thickness? If the answer is "no" to these, then it is flat-size. If the mailpiece does exceed any of the dimensions of a flat, or is not flexible or is not uniform in thickness or is not rectangular, then it is a parcel.

Relative to Delivery Confirmation and Signature Confirmation, the regulation has been, and is, that for First-Class Mail, the mailpieces must be packages/parcels. The only time a mailpiece can be a flat and qualify for Delivery or Signature Confirmation is when it is mailed as Priority Mail.

I think that in years past, mailers might have mistakenly used Delivery Confirmation or Signature Confirmation for letters and flats, and some post offices accidentally may have let it "slide". But as the post offices (and mailers) become more informed due to shape-based pricing (as you have!) they realize that Delivery and Signature Confirmation cannot be used for letters and flats. So, it is not that the rules changed, it is just that we all now know the regulations and have to abide by them!

She said it MUST be 3/4 an inch thick in order to get a delivery confirmation on packages being sent by 1st class (my packages were just shy of that mark.)

This actually happened to me maybe a year or so ago. And that was even a 7" mailer. Maybe it was an old rule and some people don't know it's been changed? Or maybe only a few people actually care enough to enforce? Seems pretty silly to not let you spend your money on delivery conf. if you want to.

Yeah they pulled that on me once, not for a 7" necessarily but that same rule.

It just depends how strict they want to be. Half the mailpersons at my local branch will do whatever you want and hook you up and the other half are by the book. Find someone more lenient if you can and they dont care.

Also, if your post office has an automated postal center just do it all through that. Once you drop it in the mail no one is going to send it back just for that