Looking to buy a new SLR camera

I'm possibly in the market for an SLR camera, something in the range of 10 megapixels to replace my 6MP point and shoot camera, I'm just really tired of the delay between photos on the thing. I primarily take pictures at shows and the slowness of my current camera just kills me, I miss too many potentially cool shots.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I'd get the cheapest canon slr

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11154

assuming you aren't a pro photographer anything over the cheapest slr should be more than enough. Once you buy the camera though, you'll realize there are all these add ons you never knew you wanted like a nice flash or a nice lens. Those are what really make the difference.

i also use a d70(s) and i love it. d80 is a great choice. if you can afford it wait for the d90, it has an HD video mode. a little gimmicky for an SLR, but you cant argue that it would be a nice feature to have. for a budget, the d40x is a great camera. i would recommend nikon, i just like the feel better than canon. and whatever you get, get an extended warranty (i got one through Mack, and they have been great)

I have a Nikon D200 and Fuji S3. Like them both. But like Shane said, don't let the number of megapixels be you're only factor in deciding on a camera. Read reviews, and try to buy from a place that will allow you to return the camera if you decide you don't like it.

we used to use S3s at work and i hated them. the battery life was terrible. we just got those new S5s and they are a lot better. i'd still rather have d300s though.

I have a Nikon D200 and Fuji S3. Like them both. But like Shane said, don't let the number of megapixels be you're only factor in deciding on a camera. Read reviews, and try to buy from a place that will allow you to return the camera if you decide you don't like it.

we used to use S3s at work and i hated them. the battery life was terrible. we just got those new S5s and they are a lot better. i'd still rather have d300s though.

I mainly use the S3 with DC power, but my experience using rechargeable batteries has been fairly good too. Maybe some batteries work better than others?

I've heard mixed things about the S5. Not that it's a bad camera by any means, but that it almost has too many settings (or something to that effect)? I haven't personally used one yet though. Can you tell me a little bit about the differences between the S3 and S5?

I'd get the cheapest canon slr

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11154

assuming you aren't a pro photographer anything over the cheapest slr should be more than enough. Once you buy the camera though, you'll realize there are all these add ons you never knew you wanted like a nice flash or a nice lens. Those are what really make the difference.

A friend of mine has the above Canon and I have to say, it does take a damn good picture, and it has all the potential for add-ons and whatnot.

Do heed the advice of the extended warranty...I work at office depot, and if you buy something under $599, it is a "replacement plan", meaning if you just don't like the camera (after the 1-year manufacturer's warranty expires and the plan begins), call the number for the warranty company and they will mail you a check for what you paid. They won't ask you to mail in the "broken" item because it would cost more to fix than it would to just mail you a check. This is what my boss tells me, so it may be b.s....just f.y.i.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanukichu (haven't updated it in ages though/hardly have anything on it)

I have a Canon Rebel XTI. I absolutely adore it. There's so many features. It can be point and shoot if you want it to be, or completely manual, or somewhere in the middle. It's a great camera to grow with if you're willing to learn how to use it....which isn't too hard. If you are using it primarily for concert shots (which is the majority of the subject matter I photograph) some things to watch out for are camera restrictions at venues. Most larger venues don't permit SLR cameras unless you have a photo pass. Also if shutter speed (you said your camera is slow) is one of your issues, you still have to be careful. An important tip to remember is to pay attention to your ISO setting. The higher it is, the faster your shutter will be. A low ISO setting in a dark venue will have a ridiculously slow speed. I usually keep mine at 800 ISO with low amounts of flash.

I would also consider taking a photography class if able or in the very least buying an SLR photography "how-to" book to make the most of a big purchase like an SLR camera.