Canadian election humour

Guest conoley

Guest conoley
hey ben... is there even anybody in your riding worth voting for?

Nope. I'm a member of the NDP, but I have voted Liberal in the past because our MP was really good (Andy Scott), but he retired and the NDP guy is basically just a name for the ballot. Liberal candidate isn't anything special and I wouldn't vote Conservative if Jesus was running. I haven't heard a peep from our Green Party member.

We have our riding debate this week, so hopefully something comes of that.

You?

hey ben... is there even anybody in your riding worth voting for?

Nope. I'm a member of the NDP, but I have voted Liberal in the past because our MP was really good (Andy Scott), but he retired and the NDP guy is basically just a name for the ballot. Liberal candidate isn't anything special and I wouldn't vote Conservative if Jesus was running. I haven't heard a peep from our Green Party member.

You?

pretty much the same, nothing. i live in an older neighborhood and the conservative candidate and liberal candidate are neighbors and im pretty sure they are just running for something to do. the NDP candidate is the same thing and I havent even seen a sign for the green party yet so i dont know if they even have somebody.

I dont really know what to do. Maybe just fill my ballot in wrong...?

Guest conoley

You?

pretty much the same, nothing. i live in an older neighborhood and the conservative candidate and liberal candidate are neighbors and im pretty sure they are just running for something to do. the NDP candidate is the same thing and I havent even seen a sign for the green party yet so i dont know if they even have somebody.

I dont really know what to do. Maybe just fill my ballot in wrong...?

I think filling the ballot in wrong is a waste, especially since Elections Canada doesn't count protest votes. If the candidates running are new/dry, chances are they will just tow the party line. So if you like one party in particular, you can vote that way. Also, each party gets funding in relation to how many votes they get.

So when I vote NDP it will be because I agree with the national party's platform and I would like to see them get more funding. When I voted Liberal in the past it was to support my MP, but that won't be the case this time.

Ben's right on the money. odds are these days any candidate is toeing the party line unless they've got a record otherwise -- which none of them do. canada's gotten at least as partian as the states has, i think.

my riding is weird; the incumbent dropped out just after the vote was called, he had depression and was hooked on pills, evidently. the liberal candidate i'd LOVE to vote for as he's a really great guy i've worked with extensively when he was our chief of police. problem is that the tory replacement is at 43 per cent support and the NDP candidate is at 36, so there's a consensus building that everyone who wants to stop a tory from getting in again should coalesce behind the NDP guy. the ndp guy is boring as hell and i'm not sure if he'd be effective in any way. probably not.

I have a few friends that work in the media and they say that Dion is easily the nicest of all the leaders and that Layton is actually a pretty big twat. I'll probably still vote NDP, but I was disappointed to hear that.

May, of course, is so nice that she'd probably give you a rim job for your vote.