record player/amp help

kouka

so I just bought a simple CD/stereo thing that has an AUX input (no phono). I hooked up my record player to it, but I have to turn my stereo all the way up for it to be at a decent listenable level.

Does this mean I need a pre-amp? I'm not really sure what I need to do, the sound is fine, it is just extremely low.

Also, since my stereo has an AUX input instead of a phono, how should I ground the turntable? should I even worry about it?

thanks!

[image]

Not sure but you may be able to get a phono pre-amp with a ground on it. If not you may get a 'hum' when you plug your turntable in. Another thing to consider is that you could probably buy a decent vintage receiver for $50-$100 that would come with a phono pre amp. I was looking into buying a pre-amp until I realized I could get a great receiver for cheaper.

Also: Yaphet Kotto!

thanks for all the help!

i wanted to keep things on the cheap (got the stereo for $20 and the turntable for another $20). plus the stereo has a CD player, so that saved me having to buy that.

i'll start browsing craigslist for a phono pre-amp, because on top of the low volume, there is also a very significant hum.

and yes, YAPHET KOTTO!!!!

I used to have one of these until I got a different receiver. These are like 12 bucks on ebay

[image]

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Phono-Preamp-Turntable-Amplifier-Record-Peamplifier_W0QQitemZ270303705921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270303705921&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Also your ground wire should have a lug on the end of it that you can attach to just about any substantial hunk of metal, like to a screw on the back of your stereo or maybe something on your shelf there.

since craigslist was a bust, I opted for this one ($18.95ppd):

[image]

http://cgi.ebay.com/PYLE-Pro-PP-999-Phono-Pre-Amp-PP999-PreAmp-NEW-FASTSHIP_W0QQitemZ350105209437QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item350105209437&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I assume the benefit of a receiver is that it has the pre-amp built in. I thought this new one i bought would be fine since it is a tuner/CD player with an AUX, but maybe if there's not a dedicated PHONO input, that may be the sign you need a pre-amp.

Some record players have pre-amps built in most nicer ones don't. Older stereo receivers have a phono input with built in pre-amp but since most "receivers" nowadays are just home theater systems or bookshelf systems they don't. For me it's just convenience, most audiophiles opt for the separate dedicated pre-amp and amplifier, all tube mind you, this would be my ideal setup just hasn't happened yet.

If the only benefit is that it has a preamp, why is there a preamp market? What else does a receiver offer?

Receivers are used as the main driving component of a stereo system. Generally all your speakers get plugged into a receiver, all your components (Turntable, CD player, Ipod, TV, etc) get plugged into the receiver. Most will also include a AM/FM tuner, preamp, and amp.

I guess the preamp market exists for people like the OP, that don't want a receiver, but still want to plug their turntable into a computer/CD player thing. Audiophile dudes will usually have a fancy schmancy preamp with tubes and what not. Needle doctor has preamps for over 10grand. These are essential if you want to hear the musicians thinking/breathing while playing on a record. :)

Older receivers had phono(read: pre-amp) because a turn table was a common piece of the home stereo. Most modern ones don't anymore because a turn table isn't a common piece of home stereo equipment, that's most commonly why a pre-amp comes in to the picture for folks that aren't building a high end audiophile system.

Yeah my receiver allows me to plug all my stuff into one location and control the sound output from there. That way I can share the good system with the CD player, turntable, game systems, TV, DVD, etc etc etc. The tuner is a nice plus.

The receiver also holds the ability to process sound so you can have DTS or Dolby Digital. You can also do all sorts of stuff to the sound.

I have a receiver but I need a pre-amp as well.

How is it that your table needs to be grounded? Table I have has a pre-amp built-in so I'm not familiar with the issue you're having. I understand the pre-amp part but not the ground part.

I believe tables without a built in pre-amp have a ground wire to eliminate RF noise picked up from nearby devices. I've had 4 different tables and the ones with the preamps didn't have a ground so I'd imagine it's internally grounded through the pre-amp.

My receiver has a little thumbscrew on the back for this purpose but it doesn't have to be real elaborate I've seen a table grounded by a thumb tack and it didn't sound noisy or anything.

so I just bought a simple CD/stereo thing that has an AUX input (no phono). I hooked up my record player to it, but I have to turn my stereo all the way up for it to be at a decent listenable level.

Does this mean I need a pre-amp? I'm not really sure what I need to do, the sound is fine, it is just extremely low.

Also, since my stereo has an AUX input instead of a phono, how should I ground the turntable? should I even worry about it?

thanks!

[image]

exact stereo I am using for playing vinyl, but i plan on getting it all replaced soon with some nicer shit. with all that vinyl i see you have isn't it worth spending some cash on something nicer?

I believe my record player (AT PL50) has built in preamp and there fore i keep the stereo at about volume 50 for listening plenty loud

exact stereo I am using for playing vinyl, but i plan on getting it all replaced soon with some nicer shit. with all that vinyl i see you have isn't it worth spending some cash on something nicer?

I believe my record player (AT PL50) has built in preamp and there fore i keep the stereo at about volume 50 for listening plenty loud

I have something nicer (where the majority of my vinyl is), but this is upstairs in my bedroom.. so to keep things good with my wife, I wanted something simple :)

i think this will do the trick once my pre-amp arrives.

I have something nicer (where the majority of my vinyl is), but this is upstairs in my bedroom.. so to keep things good with my wife, I wanted something simple :)

i think this will do the trick once my pre-amp arrives.

thats fair then. btw you use the same type of guitar strings as i do. how do you like this sharper image thing? i feel like it has decent sound for what it is. i am really looking forward to upgrading, however

i JUST got that stereo 3 days ago, and was waiting to try it out properly with some lps, so i guess i have to wait for my pre-amp to show up in the mail first :-/

and no, it's not an Expedit.. it is from Ikea and the same design, but instead of 5x5 boxes, it's 3x3 (which is perfect level for a stereo). I got it used off of craigslist a couple days ago for $40.

i'm a walking/talking billboard for that site.