for dudes who have pressed vinyl

Guest brodyparker

Guest brodyparker
I'm going to piggyback on this thread and ask another vinyl pressing question. If you want to press an album on vinyl and CD you need separate mixes/masters for each format, right?

yea, you generally have separate masterings done for each

I'm going to piggyback on this thread and ask another vinyl pressing question. If you want to press an album on vinyl and CD you need separate mixes/masters for each format, right?

yea, you generally have separate masterings done for each

Thanks, that's what I thought. My old band is putting out both a CD and 7", and they were unsure if a separate mastering was necessary for the vinyl.

We put out a 7" and cd, pressed the 7" through musicol and all went very smooth and great. Had it mastered by Bill Henderson through azimuth mastering. Great job, very affordable, and he was kind enough to master all of the songs twice (once for cd, one for vinyl) for the price of just one.

check him out, does great work.

I've never had music remastered from vinyl when taking it from a CD master...and I've never had any problems.

Its up to what you want to do and your budget

So the CD master sounded good on vinyl? No distortion or noticeable issues?

Yeah man, I've done that for 4 releases and haven't had any problems. Just make sure its mastered nicely/correctly and you shouldn't have a problem.

Plus you'll get test pressings - so if there are any problems you will catch them before the final pressing starts

In general, is it a better to have your vinyl mastering/plating done at the same facility it's being pressed at, or to have it mastered/plated separately and sent to the pressing facility?

I got mine all done at one place because it was just easier for me to do. I'm sure you could get better quality going to a place that does each step better than a single place that does them all. How much better is the question though.