Pre-amp problem

mcm1610

Bare with me, because I have an incredibly bootleg, jerry-rigged set-up.

I have an Ion USB turntable, but not the one that everyone and their mother has, rigged up to some computer speakers with a couple extra wires involved because they weren't directly compatible. It works, sound comes out and sounds alright, but it's really quiet.

I got a preamplifier for it, and when I hook it up, the volume is drastically higher, which is what I was going for, but it constantly crackles. Is this highlighting the fact that I have a shitty, terrible set-up, or is something else up? It is a PYLE PHono Pre Amp.

yeah, that's a pretty bad set up. ion makes horrible turntables and you really shouldnt hook it up to computer speakers. chances are the wires and adapters to get from the turntable to the speakers is going to add noise and loose quality. it's possible that the preamp is too much for the computer speakers. i'd first get new speakers, once that don't require ton's of adapters. that should make a difference, then think about a new turntable eventually. you could get a decent gemini for not too much. when i had issues with my set up, it was the cartridge i was using. a good cartridge makes tons of difference.

I got a preamplifier for it, and when I hook it up, the volume is drastically higher, which is what I was going for, but it constantly crackles. Is this highlighting the fact that I have a shitty, terrible set-up, or is something else up? It is a PYLE PHono Pre Amp.

If your hooking this from the turntable to the pre-amp to the PC your probably have several options for volume...maybe?

If possible can you adjust a few volume settings. I feel like your getting the super crakles due to the volume being pushed way up in one place, like the PC, then waaaay low in another, like the pre-amp. If your taking a really weak signal into the PC and then blasting it your going to hear all the little snaps and pops but if you can increase the volume cleanly before you hit the PC you might not get such a push.

I am having trouble putting this in words, but its like when you have your PC volume really really low in windows and then you plug speakers in and put that speaker dial volume all they way too the max. It doesnt sound so good, it sounds better when your PC volume is about half and then the speaker dial is about half.