phono preamp?

sherm

I posted this in the turntable help thread but no one has even viewed it all day... and I am impatient.

I bought a Denon 300f on ebay but the company ran out of stock. Now that I've thought about it more, I should probably buy a turntable that doesn't use a built-in preamp. However, I know NOTHING about preamps. So, can someone help me find a turntable and pair it with a decent preamp? I'd like to spend less than $350 if possible.

Thanks in advance!!

Well, if you do decide to keep the player you can always turn the preamp off.

I have the denon and i plan on getting this soon... http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=4787. I haven't heard much from it, but the dude at the used equipment store had it hooked up to his ridiculous set-up and he praised it for the quality and price.

Trust me. I just bought a cheap basic phono preamp (my current TT has a built-in one but the used TT on the way thankfully doesn't). I decided to plug it into my current TT and turn off the built-in one and it made a noticeable difference (not in sound quality but it fixed a problem I was having with noise). My point is that it is still worth it to fork over the money for a cheap preamp even if the TT has a built in one.

Trust me. I just bought a cheap basic phono preamp (my current TT has a built-in one but the used TT on the way thankfully doesn't). I decided to plug it into my current TT and turn off the built-in one and it made a noticeable difference (not in sound quality but it fixed a problem I was having with noise). My point is that it is still worth it to fork over the money for a cheap preamp even if the TT has a built in one.

Interesting, I guess my only point is research what you got before you buy a replacement to be sure your not wasting money, just dont wanna see anyone spend money on a pre-amp when they can buy some records. To simply generalize all built in pre-amps as crap and must replace might not be the best idea.

Anyone have a pricey tube pre-amp or upgrade to a real expensive one? I do have a crap external one I kinda want to replace.