Documentary on Vinyl Record Collectors

Holy shit, thank you. I caught this movie on the Documentary channel a whole bunch of years ago and I absolutely loved it.

It's only somewhat about record collecting though - it's more about loneliness, isolation, and depression, and the compulsions they foster - so a lot of people may be disappointed. The film functions as more of a biography on the director, which incidentally includes his record collecting. He does interview some interesting people though, including Harvey motherfucking Pekar.

I've been trying to track down this movie for a long while, and came across a blog that posted it, but Alan Zweig (the director) asked him if he could remove it since he was working on a DVD version and needed all the money he could get from it. The DVD version was going to include a different edit of the film that was more of a 'standard' documentary about collecting, rather than being so much about him. This was a couple years ago that I read Zweig talking about it, and the DVD was supposed to be done long ago as well. Zweig's internet presence disappeared and I haven't been able to find anything about a DVD release, so I guess it fell by the wayside.

Wasn't really into that movie. It was mostly older "collector" shut-ins who filled their houses with $1 bin (and cheaper) records.

The dollar bin is exactly where everyone's Gaslight Anthem and Minus the Bear collections will be in 10 years.

It's easy to think that this board, or dead format, or whatever is representative of record collecting as a whole, but it's not. Collecting has been around long before colored variants and test presses became important for indie rock nerds. These old kooks will still be collecting long after all the hipsters grow tired of splattered-swirly vinyl.

Ive been trying to find a copy of this for a while. Also I hate rapidshare takes forever to download stuff.

Wasn't really into that movie. It was mostly older "collector" shut-ins who filled their houses with $1 bin (and cheaper) records.

what might look like a $1 bin record to you is worth $1200 to someone else.

Local guy similar to the people in this movie has been selling tons of stuff lately for $1200+

Local guy similar to the people in this movie has been selling tons of stuff lately for $1200+

I am more than well aware of that. Most of the stuff is still dollar bin fodder. The guy that memorized all the K-Tel compilations was cool.

I am more than well aware of that. Most of the stuff is still dollar bin fodder. The guy that memorized all the K-Tel compilations was cool.

If by cool you mean to totally aggressive, nutty idiot.

I am going to collect every song ever made. Great plan.

Of course he's nutty, he's actually into collecting.

A much better movie about collecting is Desperate Man Blues, about Joe Bussard. One of the top blues/pre war jazz collectors in the world (not a popular genre on here, I suppose). He's mostly a complete asshole, but the lengths he went to get his records, jesus.

Oh man, this is awesome! infatuating docu...

That guy who wants to collect every song in the world, ever is very scary. He has a whacked alphabetical system which is by artist First name(?) but he doesn't count The because then the T's would be too big. LOL

I don't know what year this was filmed, clearly it is after the CD revolution...but when the guy says there's only 4 bands that start with Q he is way off.

Queen

Quiksilver Messenger Service

Queensryche

Queens of the Stone Age

Quarterflash

Quiet Riot

Q and Not U

Quasi

to name a few...