Sing Sing Records (70s/80s Punk Reissue Label)

hickey

http://www.singsingrecords.com/

Good Morning!

You're getting this email because you're on the Rob's House Records email list and we've got a new label to introduce. Welcome: Sing Sing Records. We're (legitimately) reissuing our favorite punk singles from the late 70s and early 80s. First pressing is 500 copies of each but we're definitely up to represses and/or basically keeping these in stock if you guys want em. So, here's the first batch:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Sing 001 :: ROSES ARE RED - Can't Understand b/w Your Love Is Like A Ballistic Missile

"A five-piece punk band formed in the first half of 1978, Roses Are Red suffered a series of personnel changes before a March 1979 line-up featuring Chris Thompson (v) and Nicky Hallam (gtr) with Vibrators members Greg Van Cook, Ian 'Knox' Carnochan and John 'Eddie' Edwards recorded this self-produced single at Elephant Studios, London, and privately issued it in June, receiving positive responses. The stand out track is Your Love Is Like A Ballistic Missile, and infectious punk song built around a catchy chorus: a DIY punk gem which has developed a steady reputation among collectors...." [45 revolutions]

Sing 002 :: RUDI - Big Time b/w No. One

The first punk band to emerge from Belfast, Northern Ireland, Rudi was formed in late 1975; although before punk broke, the original lineup toyed with glam sounds and even had two drummers! This lineup consisted of Ronnie Matthews (gtr/v), Brian Young (gtr/v), Drew Brown (d) and Graham 'Grimmy' Marshall (bass/vcls). By the time their first single was recorded, Graham Marshall moved to drums and Gordon Blair joined on bass. "A single, cheaply recorded at Templepatrick Studios on February 1978, emerged in the last week of April '78, housed in a fold-open cover with artwork inspired by the 1932 movie 'The Mummy' (with Boris Karloff) on the front. A punk/powerpop song of superior musical level, Big Time was the perfect introduction to Rudi: crisp, tight, energetic and contagiously melodic. The flip was a good '77 three chord garage-punker, which confirmed the band's talent." [45 Revolutions]

Sing 003 :: THE ZIPS - Take Me Down / Don't Be Pushed Around // I'm In Love / Over & Over

In 1978 John McNeil (v/gtr) and Brian Jackson (gtr) recruited Joe Jaconelli (d) and Phil Mullen (b/v), and launched The Zips onto the New Wave. They released their debut single, The Zips EP, in April 1979, a favourite of Radio Clyde, and the late-John Peel on Radio One. The 500 copies swiftly sold out, and it was followed by a new single, Radioactivity, on their own Tenement Toons label.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

$6 each / plus shipping. Remember, these are legit reissues which means we're paying the bands so no complaints about prices. In fact, if you've seen these on ebay anytime in the last few years, you'll know you're getting an amazing deal.

Order now and check out our fully-functional website at http://www.singsingrecords.com

Records will ship sometime next week.

Also available soon from: Revolver, Matador, Goner

Up next: Jetz - Catch Me, Rudi - I Spy, De Cylinders - I Wanna Get Married

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Second round of Sing Sing releases out today:

Good Afternoon!

we've been busy over the last few months and now we've got three new releases for you (info below). all orders will be packed up over the weekend and shipped out monday may 18. we've also launched a new blog where you can check out some other related singles. you can find the link to the blog and all order info at www.singsingrecords.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sing 006 :: DE CYLINDERS - I Wanna Get Married b/w Looking For Work

De Cylinders, a six piece power pop band from the Netherlands, had a solid reputation as a live band in the Netherlands and Belgium playing along side bands such as the Pretenders and Ultravox. They recorded this 45, their first of three for the CNR label, in 1979 at Soundpush studios, Blaricum with Dennis Kloeth acting as producer. The playing on the 45's is tight, the production is spot on and the songs are extremely well crafted. The anthemic ?I Wanna Get Married? did not permeate deeply into the personal life of the band members; as of today not more than two Cylinders are wearing a wedding ring. The back side, ?Looking for work? was more prophetic: all six Cylinders are nowadays firmly employed, though five of them no longer in the music business.

Release Country: Holland

Release Year: 1980 / Reissue Date: 05.09

Original Label: CNR

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sing 005 :: RUDI - I Spy / Genuine Reply // Sometimes / Ripped In Two

After recording a track for Good Vibrations' double 7" BATTLE OF THE BANDS on February 1, 1979, Rudi entered Belfast's Wizard Studios taping four songs that appeared in the last week of July on an EP which seemed about to be released by Polydor, but which finally emerged on the Good Vibrations label when the combo refused to replace Graham Marshall with a different drummer as suggested by Polydor. The Buzzcockian guitar solo of GENUINE REPLY, the chorus of RIPPED IN TWO and the John Barry-esque intro to the title-track were the platter's most memorable moments. Although all four tunes were very convinving and could stay on your turntable for days.

Release Country: Northern Ireland

Release Year: 1979 / Reissue Date: 05.09

Original Label: Good Vibrations

Sing 004 :: JETZ - Catch Me b/w Breaking It Down

A rock band from Cheshunt, in Hertfordshire, active from 1974 as Red Whyman with a line-up comprising Alex Kinder (v), Tracy Graham (B), Tony Skeggs (gtr), Dennis Pugsley (gtr) and Paul Titchmarsh (d). Having signed a deal with Rebel Records (a subsidiary of EMI), late in 1976 the combo recorded three tracks at London's Majestic Studios. Early in 1977 Red Whyman changed moniker to Jetz, recruited new drummer Steve Bye and changed their set in a New Wave direction. Two further songs were taped, again at Majestic Studios, with Dave 'Howie' Howman producing. One of them IF THAT'S WHAT YOU REALLY WANT, would remain unreleased, but the other, an enjoyable Powerpopper with Punk overtones entitled CATCH ME, would surface on the A-side of a single only issued in Holland, Belgium, Germany and Scandinavia between the end of 1977 and the beginning of 1978.

Release Year: 1977 / Reissue Date: 05.09

Original Label: Rebel / Negram

up next: reissues from de cylinders (2nd single), blaze x and tinopeners !!

thanks for the support!

• 3 months later...

Three more 7"s from Sing Sing. I can't believe you fuckers aren't scooping this shit up. The first six have all been stellar.

We know you've been waiting....we have too!!! And, today's the day we announce our new releases for sale!!! Not to be confused with a preorder: We've got these in stock now and will start shipping immediately! Here's the info:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sing 009 :: TINOPENERS - Set Me Free b/w I'm Not Your Type

Tinopeners were an Irish punk band formed in May of ?77 to perform at their high school?s battle of the bands. Soon after, they began playing out, recorded a few rough demos at a local music store and sent them to George Doherty of Rip Off Records. The demos were well received and Rip Off put them in George Temple Patrick Studios to record a single which would be produced by Clive Culbertson. Afterwards, Culbertson brought the tape to London and LOGO Records offered to distribute the single. The singles? two tracks sit more on the pop side of punk and contain some super catchy lyrics. Thus, the single was fairly successful; selling upwards to 3000 copies, but by 1981, the skinhead scene was growing in Northern Ireland, creating a social tension that would ultimately lead to the band?s end. A second single was recorded but never released.

**The original release was issued without artwork. The reissue comes housed in a Sing Sing Records company sleeve.

Release Country: Northern Ireland

Release Year: 1979

Original Label: Rip Off / Logo Records

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sing 008 :: DE CYLINDERS - We Must Pay b/w Chartbuster

?We must pay?, an intoxicating musical mix of fun, frenzy and finances, was De

Cylinders? second single for CNR. Remarkably, the song was recorded in a single take during the same sessions that spawned the first single. As such, the sound of ?We must pay? comes very close to what De Cylinders delivered as a live band. Propelled by a haunting Farfisa organ, ?We must pay? is 24 karat power pop. The medium-tempo flipside ?Chart buster? is no stinker either.

Fact: Today, nearly 30 years later, CNR is home to Andr? Rieu, king of the Wiener Waltz, a definite non-power pop megastar from the Netherlands.

Release Year: 1980

Sing 007 :: BLAZE X - Some Hope b/w Rippy

Blaze X formed in late 1975 in Tuam. They quickly learned to play and scored support slots for touring bands such as The Radiators, The Fuze, Tony Koklin and most famously U2 at Leisure Land in Galway on December 18, 1980. In November 1980 they entered RCF Studios in Galway and recorded their self-released single which sold well locally but didn't have much distribution apart from some mailorder sales. Only 500 copies pressed and it's a tough one to find these days. Most were sold locally and some were sent out as promos -- one of which went to RTE DJ Larry Gogan, who made it his Hit-Pick of the week (though the B-side "Rippy" was banned). Despite this success, the band failed to get on TV and no more copies were pressed. They split in 1981 when they failed to achieve their ambitions.

Release Country: Ireland

Release Year: 1980 / Reissue Date: 08.09

Original Label: Fixed Wheel

Order at www.singsingrecords.com and, if you haven't already, dont forget to pick up a copy of our previous releases!!

Up NEXT from Sing Sing: 7" reissues from The Orbits, Jeff Hill Band and The RPMs !!!!

Check out our blog too: http://singsingrecords.blogspot.com

• 2 months later...

Three more 7"ers from Sing Sing Records. I can't say enough good shit about this label and the records that these folks are putting out.

Good Morning!

We've got 3 new amazing first wave powerpop / punk reissues available now! You might of thought we were strictly reissuing UK / European punk but we're happy to announce our first two US reissues: The Orbits and The RPM's. Plus, we've got the amazing (and rare) 2nd single from Jeff Hill Band available to complete the package! Descriptions follow; order info and mp3s at http://www.singsingrecords.com Shipping starts tomorrow!

Up next: 7" reissues from Deaf Aids, Rollerball and Spider.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sing 010 :: ORBITS - Make The Rules b/w Phenomenal World

Formed in Milwaukee, The Orbits were a mod/powerpop three-piece band whose outstanding "Make The Rules" can be heard on the 2nd volume of Powerpearls. Old bandmate (and also Shivvers' drummer) Jim Richardson once qualified the combo as "Brian Jones on speed fronting The Jam". In fact, the trio was typical of the US vintage late `70s powerpop sound, as they were true garage activists drawing from the `60s legacy much more subtly than their UK contemporaries. Juvenile, disarming, devoid of all pretence or anything. Original members, bassist Scott Krueger, guitarist Breck Burns and drummer Bob Wrenn weren't at the first attempt to start out a band. They played in early incarnations of The Orbits like In A Hot Coma, The Craze (which included guitarist Howie Epstein), and The Drones but their only 7" vinyl appearance was due to The Orbits. Indeed, released on the tiny label No.1, "Make The Rules" backed with smashing "Phenomenal World" were in the bins in 1980, in fact the same w!

eek than Milwaukee bandmates The Shivvers' "Teen Line" 7" single. They would be remembered for their blistering sets (they covered The Jam's "In The City", The Who's "So Sad About Us") but their studio counterparts were really worth a try. The Orbits sound was tight like a strong black coffee (or its chemical equivalent) but enriched with a lot of pop artifacts (clear vocals, handclaps, peals of guitar riffs, "lalala-la" background vocals). The Shivvers and The Orbits would later morph into one, keeping The Shivvers name and would include Jim Richardson, Scott Krueger, Breck Burns, guitarist Mike Pyle, and singer, songwriter, keyboardist Jill Kossoris.

Release Country: USA

Release Year: 1980 / Reissue Date: 11.09

Original Label: No. 1

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sing 011 :: JEFF HILL BAND - Somethings Wrong With My Baby b/w Whatever She Wanted

Immediately after the release of the Chiswick single, Jeff Hill recruited drummer Dave Buckley (ex-Moonshine, who recorded a 1976 EP titled TOO YOUNG TO LOVE ME) and bass player Ray Humphries: the Jeff Hill Band played their first gig in Burtonwood on October 19. A few demos were taped in Warrington on November 26, two days before entering London?s Pathway Studios to record a second 7? for Chiswick which never saw the light of day. In the second half of 1978 a deal with Rabid Records was negotiated and two tracks were taped at Cheshire?s Revolution Studio on February 19, 1979, with Steve Hopkins (k) as guest musician and Andy Mac taking production duties. Rabid planned the release of a single then decided to include the two tracks on a compilation album: both projects were eventually aborted. Undeterred, the Jeff Hill Band decided to found their own label, Balloon Records, and self-financed the pressing of 500 copies of a 7? housed in a cartoon picture cover with a Ramonesy !

drawing of Jeff wearing a 'gabba gabba hey' badge. The record emerged on December 20, 1979, and is worth tracking down, though it is quite hard to locate: its two Punk/Powerpop songs are enjoyable efforts with the A-side SOMETHING?S WRONG WITH MY BABY arguably being the better track. Plagued by sparse distribution, sales were minimal causing the combo?s demise after a final gig in Warrington on April 19, 1980.

Release Country: UK

Release Year: 1979 / Reissue Date: 11.09

Original Label: Balloon Records

Sing 012 :: THE RPMS - I Don't Wanna Be Young b/w Loved By You

The RPM'S, from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, began as a cover band playing with pickup drummers at local bars. An impromtu practice at Jill Kossoris' (Shivvers) house and the introduction of her friend, drummer Rob Mccuen took the band out of the cover circuit and focused their talents on writing original material. The bands only 45 was released in November of 1980 and ranks as one of the best two siders to emerge from the incredible Milwaukee music scene of the 1980's. The single was released in a run of 500 copies on the bands own Hit-Man records and is highly sought after today as both cuts are flawless powerpop tunes.

Release Year: 1980 / Reissue Date: 11.09

Original Label: Hit-Man

Sweet, been trying to put off on getting these but I don't think I can make it much longer.

Oh Andrew, I just saw a thing on myspace that HoZac is gonna be including a bonus 7" with the last Hookup Klub shipment, and that coming soon will be Hookup Klub 2010!

A bonus 7"? I wonder what...hmm. that's cool. I will likely join the 2010 club.

• 2 months later...

Three more for dat ass! Y'all some chumps if you haven't picked up any of this stuff yet!

http://www.singsingrecords.com

Hello!

Our next three releases (7"s from Spider, Rollerball and Deaf Aids) are available now and will begin shipping immediately!!! Check out the full descriptions below....We've also got all of our previous releases in stock and we promised to keep them that way as long as the demand warranted it. Well, the time is coming soon for some of em so you might want to pick them up soon if you've been holding out.

Head over to http://www.singsingrecords.com to make the purchase.

Distro / wholesale copies available, contact [email protected] to get a quote.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sing 013 :: SPIDER - Back To The Wall b/w Down & Out

Hailing from Wallasey (Merseyside), Spider were a four-piece formed in 1976 by Brain Burrows, Col Harkness, Dave Bryce and Rob E. Burrows. The group began performing on the local live scene in Spring 1977 and recorded their debut 7" in September at the Pennine Sound Studio, Oldham; the single emerged in late November 1977 in a pressing of 500 copies, mainly sold at gigs. Its two band-composed songs show definite promise and should appeal to both Powerpop and Punk Rock collectors, as BACK TO THE WALL is an infectious Powerpop/Glam-Punk number ('beat with thunderous percussions said the music press) while DOWN AND OUT is a remarkable melodic Punk tune. During 1978 and 1979 Spider progressively changed approach towards a sort of Satus Quo-like rock with Heavy Metal touches. The combo gained a steady cult following though incessant gigging, but failed to issue other records before the end of the decade. In the '80s, the band would record several singles and albums on the Alien, City, RCA, A&M and PRT labels, scoring two minor hit singles and two top 100 UK albums between 1982 and 1984. (45 Revolutions)

Original Release Year: 1977

Original Label: Pennine

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sing 014 :: ROLLERBALL - Savage Eyes b/w Lay You Down

No, nothing to do with the "Teach Me To Rock'n'Roll" lot, it's way more important than that. This Rollerball was a pre-Elton Motello thing involving Alan Ward and Mike Butcher (Jet Staxx). Here's what Mike revealed... 'Rollerball was just a one off, with me on guitar, Alan on vocals and 2 studio assistants, Alex on bass and his brother Pascal on drums. Pascal also played the drums on the Jet Staxx singles. We never played a gig and I don't think we even got many radio plays.'"Savage Eyes" and B-side "Lay You Down", both Ward/Butcher compositions, were recorded late 1976 in their adopted home of Brussels, Belgium (the mecca of pseudo punk), with a production credited to Rollerball as a band. It seems that it was only released in Holland on CNR Records in the first half of 1977 with the Dutch copies also being distributed in Belgium.The B-side is a decent rock number with a few New York Dolls moves, but the real action is on the glorious glam/punk of "Savage Eyes". Considering who was behind this record and how great it is, it's a total mystery why it's remained unknown for over 30 years. (Worthless Trash)

Release Country: Netherlands

Original Release Year: 1977

Sing 015 :: DEAF AIDS - Do It Again // Peep Show / Aren't People Strange

A Sheffield-based band formed in September 1978 as Charles Hawtrey & The Deaf Aids. Early in 1979 the group reduced the name to Deaf Aids and gained a certain local following which increased thanks to a national tour with The Jags. An EP, co-produced by their promoter/ financier Mike Charlesworth, was issued in October 1979 in a pressing limited to 250 copies (the tracks were originally recorded as a demo and only released on vinyl as an afterthought). The 7??, one of the rarest singles of the era, includes three Gamwells-penned songs of a certain quality, with a particular mention to DO IT AGAIN, a strong Powerpopper which could have been an indie hit with appropriate promotion. In mid-1980 Gamwells, Hoggard and newcomer John O?Rourke were arrested after smashing up the stage with microphone stands during a Sheffield gig. In 1982 Deaf Aids metamorphosed into Bambi-Kino (named after a Hamburg cinema where The Beatles slept) who one year later became Urban Pears. (45 Revolutions)

** The original release was issued without artwork. The reissues comes complete with the band's intended artwork.

Original Release Year: 1979

Original Label: Regional Records.

• 2 months later...

Despite the obvious lack of interest, I'm going to keep posting in this thread each time Sing Sing puts out something new. Hopefully, some of you numbskulls will get the picture that these records are the tits and order 'em up.

our next three releases / reissues are now up on our website and available for purchase. here's all the info.....

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sing 017 :: THE LOCALS - You Never Have Fun b/w Yes Or No

An underrated punk-tinged pop band comprised and founded by four Pratt students, among them Bill Rohlfing, former bass player from the unruly punk ?n? roll band Public Problems. The band gigged regularly around the New York from ?79 to ?83 and soon built a reputation as an amazing live act (check out the live songs on our blog from Max?s Kansas City)!! This, their one and only vinyl release, was recorded at Backstreet Studios and released in 1980 on the private Griffy label. It was distributed locally and sold primarily at gigs. Both sides are extremely well written and masterfully played punky-pop songs with intricate vocal harmonies and monumental guitar lines. Guaranteed to get in your head and stay there. A totally essential record from a criminally overlooked band.

Release Year: 1980 / Reissue Date: 04.10

Original Label: Griffy Records.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sing 018 :: STRAIGHTSHOOTER- Straightshooter b/w She's So Fine

A four-piece group formed in 1976 and active in the Southampton area with a line-up of Don O'Riley (gtr), Pete Luck (v), Tony Ecclestone (B) and Mike O'Riley (d). In 1977 Straightshooter joined the local heat of the Melody Maker-sponsored 'Rock & Folk Contest', but their Punk/Powerpop set witht he occasional Hard Rock overtones failed to impress the jury. Recorded at Airport Studios on April 20, 1979, the combo's one and only vinyl output was co-produced by sound engineer G Dewhurst and privately issued in an edition of 500 copies through the SRT pressing service in the second half of July. The two self-penned songs are remarkable efforts and justify the collector's status reached by the 7", with the B-side, a melodic but energetic Powerpopper entitled SHE'S SO FINE, as the stand out cut.

**The original release was issued without artwork. The reissue comes housed in a Sing Sing Records company sleeve.

Release Year: 1979 / Reissue Date: 04.10

Original Label: Strolling Bones.

Sing 019 :: THE TUNNELRUNNERS - Plastic Land EP

Main-man Madoc was never a real feature of the local scene, and only every now and again would he be spotted, with his long shaggy non-punk locks and mostly sporting some kind of brightly coloured miltary tunic, fronting The Tunnelrunners in some God-forsaken you-take-your-life-in-your-hands gig like the Admiral Benbow pub out on Fabian Way. You couldn't just go and see The Tunnelrunners: you had to be lucky, to be in the right place at the right time. With the legend of the Tunnelrunners' glories grown to almost mythic proportions, the group was eventually nailed down in one place long enough to record a ten-song everything-live session for the local radio station, and in January 1981 five tracks from the session were released as the "Plastic Land" EP. The group played one final Swansea gig, to show willing, and then disappeared back to the up-England-way college-lives that had effectively finished the group that past autumn. (Low Down Kids)

Release Year: 1981 / Reissue Date: 04.10

Original Label: Sonic International Records.

Up Next:

Sing 016 :: Protex - Strange Obsessions LP. (unreleased and unheard studio album from 1980)

Sing 020 :: Voice of the Puppets - I Don't Want To Know 7"

I'm a numbskull....I still haven't gotten any of these. Andrew, give me your top 5 of all of them.

In no particular order, these are my five favorites:

Deaf Aids

Spiders

RPMs

Rudi (either one, but the first one gets more plays from me)

Jeff Hill Band

The only ones that aren't great are the two by the de Cylinders. They're ok, but don't get much playing time.

I'm a numbskull....I still haven't gotten any of these. Andrew, give me your top 5 of all of them.

In no particular order, these are my five favorites:

Deaf Aids

Spiders

RPMs

Rudi (either one, but the first one gets more plays from me)

Jeff Hill Band

The only ones that aren't great are the two by the de Cylinders. They're ok, but don't get much playing time.

Awesome, thanks man!