Interesting(picture disc/Dr. Strange Rec. related)

Guest noeffinidea

Guest noeffinidea

Inquiring if anyone else has seen/owned this or any records pressed like it...

A Strange Compilation (Dr. Strange records; feat. Face to Face, Guttermouth, The Bollweevils, Rhythm Collision, Jobbernowl, and 12 Pack Pretty) Picture Disc 12"

Found this in a used bin at a local shop this evening. It was only $9.99 and having Face to Face and Guttermouth on it was enough to spark my interest, in addition to being hand #'d. What's interesting is the way the disc was made. Being a one-sided 12" picture disc was interesting enough to me, I don't think I've seen a one-sided picture disc in any size before. In addition, the B-side is a grooveless slab of marble purple wax. This seemed pretty unique to me to plate a picture disc over colored vinyl.

So two questions for all your VC'ers: 1. Do you own or have you ever seen something pressed similar to this? 2. Now, I don't know much at all in terms of plating slabs of vinyl, but aren't picture discs usually plated on a base of black vinyl? I ask the second question because I'm sure every picture disc I have or have seen usually has a black edge around the outside of the vinyl before the picture part starts.

Sorry if I'm a little vague in this post. Here's some visuals to get a gist:

[image]

[image]

Let me know guys and gals!

Guest noeffinidea

Mainly I was just wondering how often one-sided picture discs get pressed. I have just never seen one where it was a picture disc on one side and normal wax on the other.

Guest noeffinidea

This is interesting. Perhaps I'll take a little time tomorrow afternoon to research the process a little bit. Never really thought about it too much until I came across this little sucker. One thing I think about with pic. discs is the (usually) sub-par sound quality, so it would be cool to research it a bit and see what about the process of pressing them brings about the lowered quality.

Guest noeffinidea
the recent pressing of the american football ep lp is one sided

Picture discs aside, both the "3 Songs" and "4 Songs" 12"s from I Hate Myself are one-sided. I think it's becoming a more popular thing to do lately especially with B-side etchings becoming more commonplace.

I always thought picture discs were pressed on clear vinyl and they just put the inserts inside them while pressing. Am I totally off?

I could also be wrong, but I don't think that is correct, because a lot of picture discs have that black ring around the outside. To me that means they aren't completely clear. Examples:

[image]

[image]

[image]