In need of a new reciever

OK, so the receiver my record player is hooked up to is really old. every time I adjust the volume, it crackles and cuts out from one of the speakers. not sure if that's something that can be fixed, of if it's time for a new one. I got it for free too, so no love lost. I'd want something that sounds good (obviously), and nothing fancy, just that it has a phono option so I don't have to get a pre-amp. any tips on where to look, or what to choose? thanks!

when I my turntable close to 10 years ago, I just had this shitty as stereo that I plugged it into, that didn't have a built in pre-amp. I had bought the turntable at a guitar store, and they recommended getting a mixer, which did the trick. So, I have that, but not sure if it does the same thing as a pre-amp, or if I shouldn't rely on it...? I'm really quite clueless when it comes to audio components.

+1 on the recommendation for vintage. People seem to like the old Marantz receivers from the early 80s, which sound great and can be found on ebay for cheap.

If you want new, and don't care about a radio (why would you?), you can get good quality integrated amps with built-in phono pre-amps. Check audiogon.

I'd be willing to bet that there's someone in your area that services old stereo equipment. There's a guy here who does it on the side, as well as selling stuff. He replaced all the burned-out lamps and cleaned all the pots in my receiver when I first got it from my friend, and now I have no issues with it.

I'd be willing to bet that there's someone in your area that services old stereo equipment. There's a guy here who does it on the side, as well as selling stuff. He replaced all the burned-out lamps and cleaned all the pots in my receiver when I first got it from my friend, and now I have no issues with it.

ah, this is also a good idea. thanks!

+1 on the recommendation for vintage. People seem to like the old Marantz receivers from the early 80s, which sound great and can be found on ebay for cheap.

If you want new, and don't care about a radio (why would you?), you can get good quality integrated amps with built-in phono pre-amps. Check audiogon.

The only problem i felt like i had with ebay receivers was that the shipping was sooo damn expensive...around $50 bucks just to ship.

You are better off going to a local flee market and finding one there for like 30 bucks or cheaper!! I've also shopped around for new ones as well...the cheapest receiver i found that had a phono input was like $250 bucks.