Protecting Vinyl

So, now that I got my resealable outer sleeves and rice paper inner sleeves, I've been debating the pluses and minuses of keeping the actual vinyl in the rice paper sleeves, but outside of the outer sleeves of the record as I've read numerous places this is the safest way to preserve your records. I thought to myself, although it will preserve the artwork better, won't this put the vinyl itself more at risk? Just a thought. Thought I'd ask your opinion.

Ahhh...Ok...now I get what you mean...

The rice paper is smoother whereas the regular paper sleeves and the cardboard jackets are rough and more prone to scratch and mark up the wax...

It may feel thinner...which it is...but I feel that it's better...

Anyone else care to pipe in?

i dunno. i keep all my records in their original sleeves. i feel like even with both rice paper and regular paper inners the records would be prone to gouges and scratches if they were kept outside of the sleeves.

ive also noticed that some sleeves can be squeezed IN if the record is kept outside the sleeve. especially if its a non-gatefold 2LP or something.

id just keep them in the sleeves, man. if you store them correctly [ie upright and not too many leaning on each other/packed too tightly] then you shouldn't get any ringwear or anything.

thats my $0.02

Fuck me with a chainsaw!

I am having the most absent-minded night ever! Or maybe it's all the beers I've had so far!

So Jordan...you're asking about keeping the records in the rice paper sleeves but outside of the jackets?

Oh no my friend...I agree with Darrell...keep them shits inside the jackets...and like he also mentioned, avoid keeping them too tightly packed.

if you have a record sleeve that may be a bit wider than usual [or necessary] then keeping the records outside the sleeves will push in on the sleeve and cause it to flatten.

you got the new skeletonwitch record, right? notice how its a wider sleeve than usual? if you put the record outside the sleeve and then have it resting in between a bunch of your other records then it will press in against the sleeve instead of outward, helping to maintain its shape. non-gatefold 2LPs [as temporary residence are so wont to do] would be even more drastic.

you get what im saying? its hard to convey via typing

hah, i dont have a camera, shit...

basically, the record inside the sleeve will help maintain the sleeve's shape. if you put it outside the sleeve, its going to push inward on the sleeve instead of outwards from the inside. taking the record out of the sleeve will create "negative space" [oh god] inside the sleeve.

maybe IM the one overreacting now. but it just seems to me to be safer on all counts to keep the record in the sleeve when storing. maybe i can borrow someones camera and we can revisit this

I personally think that we should start by making a decision on what is what...

What is the sleeve? What is the jacket?

I know what's what but so many people use the terms interchangeably that it gets all confusing.

To me personally, the jacket is the outside part with all the artwork and track listing and all that shit. The sleeve is what the record gets slipped into...and it can be paper or rice paper. So...the actual record gets slipped into the sleeve and then that gets slipped into the jacket.

What is the sleeve? What is the jacket?

I know what's what but so many people use the terms interchangeably that it gets all confusing.

To me personally, the jacket is the outside part with all the artwork and track listing and all that shit. The sleeve is what the record gets slipped into...and it can be paper or rice paper. So...the actual record gets slipped into the sleeve and then that gets slipped into the jacket.

I think you're right on that one...but I'm eager to hear more confirmation.

hah, i dont have a camera, shit...

basically, the record inside the sleeve will help maintain the sleeve's shape. if you put it outside the sleeve, its going to push inward on the sleeve instead of outwards from the inside. taking the record out of the sleeve will create "negative space" [oh god] inside the sleeve.

maybe IM the one overreacting now. but it just seems to me to be safer on all counts to keep the record in the sleeve when storing. maybe i can borrow someones camera and we can revisit this

Alright. I get it now. I guess I have to see if the rice paper sleeves I got fit inside the jackets now. I got the square ones because I originally got them to replace the full color inner sleeves of some of my records, but I ended up getting enough to replace the sleeves of all of my records. I'll have to check when I get home.

i store the vinyl in either a polylined paper sleeve or an old school Discwasher VRP sleeve. if there is an inner insert that that record came in, i keep the record OUT of the insert to prevent any splits from occurring on the inner sleeve. if the actual cover is a bit snug i usually keep the the record OUT of the cover to prevent any potential splits from occurring on the cover. otherwise, i keep the record inside the cover sleeve.

i've shared this info a million times on various forums and threads by now :D

so: i receive a record in my mail. i take the record out of the cover and out of its paper sleeve. i put the record in a polylined sleeve ( i use polylined sleeves). i put the record (in its polylined sleeve), its cover and its original paper sleeve in a reseleable plastic sleeve.

so i keep my vinyl records in polylined sleeves rather than in their original paper sleeves because the polylining is less rough than the paper. and, moreover, i keep the record outside of the cover avoiding to circle-mark it. :)