oceanographic problems?

So, I have a term paper due tonight at 6:30 about an environmental problem that is associated with that marine environment. It can be physical, chemical, biological or a combination. &I've yet to begin it. I'm not worried about getting it done as long as I can come up with something decent to write about.

Does anyone know of a good topic? So far the only things I can keep thinking of is overfishing and man-made pollution (which is obvious). And I don't really feel like writing 8 pages on that.

Any help is appreciated :)

also, I'm sitting in the common area at school and they're playing non-stop Beck. It's weird but awesome.

I dunno how I missed this, but I'm doing a PhD in coastal ocean flooding, but it seems like you figured it out.

whoa, that sounds fancy/awesome! how is that working out for you?

i'm taking an oceanography class at art school, so I don't really think i got the most out of it. we usually end up watching Deep Blue Sea. For my mid-term I wrote a spoken word on the long-nosed chimaera with tribal music playing in the background and yesterday in class we watched a 2 1/2 hour documentary on shark hunting on the impact it's having on the world's oxygen supply (it was REALLY interesting).

I wish this class wasn't such a joke, because I really enjoy learning about most of the material. My instructor's day job is a high school science teacher, he hates art students, and is just some rich dude who drops 7 g's to go diving in the Galapagos.

/end novel.

My instructor's day job is a high school science teacher, he hates art students, and is just some rich dude who drops 7 g's to go diving in the Galapagos.

High School science teacher who has 7K to drop on diving trips?

[image]

that's what I'm saying! He also was a diving instructor, so I bet he made some fat cash doing that. I honestly don't know how he has money to do that shit. But, he has many stories of diving in pretty crazy places. He's been to Costa Rica like 32482734 times.

I dunno how I missed this, but I'm doing a PhD in coastal ocean flooding, but it seems like you figured it out.

whoa, that sounds fancy/awesome! how is that working out for you?

i'm taking an oceanography class at art school, so I don't really think i got the most out of it. we usually end up watching Deep Blue Sea. For my mid-term I wrote a spoken word on the long-nosed chimaera with tribal music playing in the background and yesterday in class we watched a 2 1/2 hour documentary on shark hunting on the impact it's having on the world's oxygen supply (it was REALLY interesting).

I wish this class wasn't such a joke, because I really enjoy learning about most of the material. My instructor's day job is a high school science teacher, he hates art students, and is just some rich dude who drops 7 g's to go diving in the Galapagos.

/end novel.

See, thats funny because my 'big name' school doesn't even offer oceanography. Science rules!

See, thats funny because my 'big name' school doesn't even offer oceanography. Science rules!

Really? Fuck that shit. That seems strange. Unfortunately for me, when I signed up for Oceanography I was under the assumption I would be learning exclusively about marine life. Turns out that that class is called Marine Biology. Makes so much sense now.

also, if you're into the ocean &shit (which I am assuming you are based on this short but informative conversation) check this shit out: http://www.sharkwater.com/new_videos/US%20Trailer%20Web%20Finals/US%20Trailer%20w%20Blood-US%20Trailer%20HD%20Blood%20WEb%20TEXT-MPEG-4%20800Kb.mp4

It's the trailer of the documentary we watched last night. It's a beautiful film.

biomagnification

i guess it's too late

haha a bit. I ended up doing it on dead zones in the Baltic Sea.

not that you would care, but it was actually really interesting!

thanks anyways :)

i wish i could write an 8 page paper in that short amount of time. although i guess i've done some of the easier programming projects in school in a similar amount of time as well.

i also hear there's a dead zone in the gulf of mexico as well as a floating island of trash somewhere "north" of hawaii

i bet our oceans are screwed up in lots of more ways than we actually know..

haha a bit. I ended up doing it on dead zones in the Baltic Sea.

not that you would care, but it was actually really interesting!

thanks anyways :)

i wish i could write an 8 page paper in that short amount of time. although i guess i've done some of the easier programming projects in school in a similar amount of time as well.

i also hear there's a dead zone in the gulf of mexico as well as a floating island of trash somewhere "north" of hawaii

Theres a huuuuuuuuuuuuge hypoxic zone south of Louisiana that is fucking up alot of peoples lives since they depend on shrimping/fishing for a living. Look at southern louisiana on google maps/earth sometime. The number of totally isolated fishing villages blows my mind.

People have said that we know more about the surface of the moon than the ocean floor, and I believe it.

It didn't end up being 8 pages. haha I was about a page or so short, but whatever, I wrote it in two hours, so I'm still giving myself some major props for that.

We are ruining our oceans and it's really scary. It is the center of our ecosystem and every living thing depends on it.

People have said that we know more about the surface of the moon than the ocean floor, and I believe it.

I read the other day that we've explored less than 10% of the ocean floor. That's insane!

Sidenote: I love diving! I just need a buddy to do it with, and $70000000 to drop all over the world to go hang with sharks and crazy sea life. I got to see some endangered Sea Turtles in Hawaii and went diving in some arches n shit. Now I wanna just dive all over the world. Preferably from a boat though, since shore-diving is really annoying.

Sidenote: I love diving! I just need a buddy to do it with, and $70000000 to drop all over the world to go hang with sharks and crazy sea life. I got to see some endangered Sea Turtles in Hawaii and went diving in some arches n shit. Now I wanna just dive all over the world. Preferably from a boat though, since shore-diving is really annoying.

Sea Turtles!!

[image]

[image]

I would like to go diving, as I've only been snorkeling.

http://www.viceland.com/int/v15n2/htdocs/oh_this_is_great.php?country=us

An article on the garbage "island" (well, not really an island, but close).

this article touches upon the biomagnification that i mentioned earlier, which i thought of because of a book i had read a few years ago for a report..

Product Description

Identifies the various ways in which chemical pollutants in the environment are disrupting human reproductive patterns and causing such problems as birth defects, sexual abnormalities, and reproductive failure. Reprint. Tour. NYT.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0452274141

a bunch of this junk ends up in the oceans.. and some of it finds its way back into us... not good

on a lighter note, this girl was on the DOs & DON'Ts w/ a caption, "this girl is hot"

i agree

[image]