Record Store of the Month: Extreme Noise (Minneapo

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

One of the aspects of Punk Rock and independent music that struck a chord with me was the community involved within the D.I.Y. subculture. When I first discovered my local punk rock scene, I was blown away at the family that our scene was and had read about other interesting scenes like the Bay Area's punk scene that set up the volunteer run venue, Gilman Street. This month, I am excited to bring to you May's Vinyl Collective Store of the month, Extreme Noise http://www.extremenoise.com/ . Extreme Noise, based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, is a volunteer run establishment that puts their profits back into their community. It is a really interesting way to run a store that could not happen just anywhere. What they do should be noted in other cities as the store just celebrated their 15th Anniversary.

Ryan Lowe (Volunteer and Music Buyer) was kind enough to answer my questions and elaborate on how the volunteer-run store works, how vinyl (and especially used vinyl) has contributed to the success of their store, their best selling vinyl, what people who haven't set foot in a record store are missing, and lots more. It is a really good read.

Support your local indie store, they are so vital to keeping independent music thriving. Let us know what store we should feature next month. Thanks Ryan.

Read the interview here:

http://www.vinylcollective.com/2009/05/05/record-store-of-the-month-extreme-noise-minneapolis/

By far my favorite all time record store. In the 8 years I lived in Minneapolis I was in the store at least once a week. I found a ton of good deals on vinyl used. The staff also remembers you and sets stuff aside for you that they think you might want or be in to. Plus if I ever needed a jolt cola I always knew where I could get one. Mark Nelson is the man