ATTN: Long Island vinyl enthusiasts, RECORD STORE?

Hey

So Im throwing around the idea of putting myself into a shitload more debt and opening a store front. That's right, A RECORD STORE ON LONG ISLAND. Selling punk, hardcore, rap, hip-hop, rock & roll, blues, jazz mostly VINYL but CDs, T-Shirts, etc. too.

Please if your reading this and would come to a store like this and buy stuff, please write back and let us know. And what it is you'd buy: vinyl, cds, etc. And depending on where it was (Suffolk County), would you travel?

We need to know if the people are out there and if this would work before even attempting. Let us know.

any questions, comments, etc.:

[email protected]

but you can write us back right here too.

Thanks,

Mike

(Head Idiot)

Man all I've done is watch all stores close.

Slipped Disc in Valley Stream, a big time destination store, closed last year. So much of my collection was purchased there.

The None of the Above Store, Dave Punkcore's store, etc. Utopia still sells records but that's not their main source of income.

Mr. Cheapo's in Mineola has started to expand it's vinyl after it's shitty garage sale selection of Cher and Kenny Rogers, but it's still not a priority there, which makes no sense.

I'd be really into a store but Suffolk is more than likely a bit of a hike for me - I live pretty close to Queens.

Its gonna be very risky to open up a record store, but if you did I would definitely be shopping there once every few weeks. Hopefully its a little closer to Queens/Nassau than Looney Toons. That place is pretty far and not worth the drive. My GF lives in Mineola so im in Long Island all the time.

I would suggest trying to build up a decent used record section. Like more 90s punk/hiphop/hardcore/etc. Most of the used record stores ive been to only have crappy 70s music and it sucks buying a used record on ebay for like $3, and then having to pay $4 to ship the damn thing.

YES. YES. YES.

i live on the east end and there is NOTHING near me. a good record store in suffolk would be the tits. i would visit it weekly so uh, YES. YES. YES.

This I would love it I am a long time customer of Looney Tunes and I love those guys but a lot of times all there stuff on vinyl is generic and overpriced I would love a Deadbroke record store I love all the stuff you guys have in your distro (just got OTMOP and Operation Cliff Clavin SOOOOOO STOKED) so if that is any indication of what would be for sale in the actual store I would be there daily!..........I live in Babylon though so go for a suffolk location........all you queens people got generation records not to far so this would be a nice thing a little closer to home!

i know it's risky. and i know many of the stores who've failed. but Im going about this a completely different way. MAJOR VARIETY, everything from ROLLING STONES to LIL WAYNE to LATTERMAN. Tons of used stuff, and affordable pricing. Most places I know or have seen go under only stock specific genres and are way overpriced, agreed. And NONE OF THE ABOVE was the best, but went under cus the owner died. They worked for a long time. Imagine all the young kids nowadays that dont have anywhere to pick up underground punk stuff.

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else?

YES. YES. YES.

i live on the east end and there is NOTHING near me. a good record store in suffolk would be the tits. i would visit it weekly so uh, YES. YES. YES.

This I would love it I am a long time customer of Looney Tunes and I love those guys but a lot of times all there stuff on vinyl is generic and overpriced I would love a Deadbroke record store I love all the stuff you guys have in your distro (just got OTMOP and Operation Cliff Clavin SOOOOOO STOKED) so if that is any indication of what would be for sale in the actual store I would be there daily!..........I live in Babylon though so go for a suffolk location........all you queens people got generation records not to far so this would be a nice thing a little closer to home!

yeah... looney tunes is great in the way that its really the only thing we have. i buy vinyl there pretty regularly but really its nice to just hang out in a music store. where in suffolk are you looking?

Guest bambam
YES. YES. YES.

where is the grammar police when you need them?

that is one eyesore of a run-on sentence.

where is the grammar police when you need them?

that is one eyesore of a run-on sentence.

Yea anyone who has been here for a while and knows me realizes I could care less how my grammar is on the interwebz and does not care.......you should join the club!

YES. YES. YES.

i live on the east end and there is NOTHING near me. a good record store in suffolk would be the tits. i would visit it weekly (as long as im not away in school.) so uh, YES. YES. YES.

Where do you live on the east end? I feel like no one near me likes HC/punk haha.

but yeah, I would attend the store. preferably I would like it in suffolk but it would probably be better in nassau. Either way, would be cool to have a store that isn't utopia or something that actually carries decent hc. Hope it doesn't go the way of Giveback.

Guest noeffinidea
Man all I've done is watch all stores close.

Slipped Disc in Valley Stream, a big time destination store, closed last year. So much of my collection was purchased there.

The None of the Above Store, Dave Punkcore's store, etc. Utopia still sells records but that's not their main source of income.

Mr. Cheapo's in Mineola has started to expand it's vinyl after it's shitty garage sale selection of Cher and Kenny Rogers, but it's still not a priority there, which makes no sense.

I'd be really into a store but Suffolk is more than likely a bit of a hike for me - I live pretty close to Queens.

Ugh the nostalgia, None of the Above in Centereach was only 3 or 4 minutes from my house when I lived on L.I. and that place is pretty much responsible for first sparking my interest in vinyl. Used to cop so much great stuff there; it was a sad day when it closed only to become a friggin' hair salon.

so this woman in boston started up a record store in her apartment!!! she posted the hours online and people hit her up a bunch and she grew pretty well...

then after about six months of doing this she then moved to a real location...

if i was even going to consider this i would do the same...get an apartment with a really large living room and some cool roomates.

then bam post hours online every week and see how it would go. risk would drop A LOT!

plus i'm sure you could do shit like...party my house friday night...dollar beers with the purchase of a 7inch..shots of whiskey for a dollar with purchase of an LP!

of course it could never be FULL ON PARTY..but you know what i mean...invite people to come to your 'store' during cooler hours...5pm to 11pm...etc...

man the more that i think about this...why am i not doing it?