Two questions on the Black Keys

Great guys, but I don't like the production on their older stuff. It's all recorded in an old rubber factory, and the echoing makes my head hurt sometimes. Starting with Rubber Factory, they changed to Pat's basement so it's better.

That is not correct, here we go:

Rubber Factory (the 3rd album) was recorded in an old rubber factory, hence the name of the album.

The Big Come Up (the first LP, 2002) was recorded in the Pats basement using Dans patented lo-fi recording process. Get the LP copy for the good version of Heavy Soul, this is the song that got me into this band, they had a download of it on their original website back in the day and it blew my mind...I actually did street team work for them on albums 1 and 2.

Thickfreakness (the second album) was recorded in 12 hours in Pats basement again.

Magic Potion (the 4rth album) was recorded back in Pats basement, this time his studio has an upgrade, its now called Audio Eagle (the label has put some stuff out, a good all Ohio comp as well)

I will still say that my favorite Black Keys song is the "Evil" b side. Its just such a killer song, not sure why it got placed as a b-side they never play...

Speaking of Rubber Factory, its one of the few interesting CD collectibles I have. For about 15 bucks on eBay, right when the album came out, I picked up a hand stamped CDR in a jewel case with a printed cover and back insert (with some bonus tracks) that is signed by both the guys and hand numbered. I think there is 40 or so copies of it. Have not seen one on eBay since. Pretty fun!

Great guys, but I don't like the production on their older stuff. It's all recorded in an old rubber factory, and the echoing makes my head hurt sometimes. Starting with Rubber Factory, they changed to Pat's basement so it's better.

That is not correct, here we go:

Rubber Factory (the 3rd album) was recorded in an old rubber factory, hence the name of the album.

The Big Come Up (the first LP, 2002) was recorded in the Pats basement using Dans patented lo-fi recording process. Get the LP copy for the good version of Heavy Soul, this is the song that got me into this band, they had a download of it on their original website back in the day and it blew my mind...I actually did street team work for them on albums 1 and 2.

Thickfreakness (the second album) was recorded in 12 hours in Pats basement again.

Magic Potion (the 4rth album) was recorded back in Pats basement, this time his studio has an upgrade, its now called Audio Eagle (the label has put some stuff out, a good all Ohio comp as well)

I will still say that my favorite Black Keys song is the "Evil" b side. Its just such a killer song, not sure why it got placed as a b-side they never play...

Ah, well I was wrong then.

I think Audio Eagle has a real studio now too, not just Pat's basement. I don't know if they did any of the recording for their new album there, or if Pat just does he label stuff there.