DIY ALBUM ART Paper Bags & Office Supplies

I think I want to pick this up...or at least take a look at it

In the early 1990s a renewed spirit of co-operation and do-it-yourself initiative took hold of the North American punk and hardcore scenes. The new DIY approach didn’t stop at booking your own tours and self-releasing records, now it involved putting together the very packaging for those records. Hand-gluing sleeves, silk-screening manila envelopes and raiding thrift stores for LP jackets that could be re-used became the norm.

From there it was only a matter of time before anything could be used as a record cover: aluminum foil, burlap, vintage wallpaper, cereal boxes, tar paper. Anything and everything was up for grabs, especially as economies of bartering became more and more adventurous. DIY Album Art: Paper Bags and Office Supplies documents the innovative handmade packaging developed by labels such as Gravity, Bloodlink, File 13, Arcade Kacha, Tree, Donut Friends, Repercussion and Vermin Scum, as well as those that build on the tradition like Helicopter, Coreleone and Auxiliary.

Culled from the personal collection of author J. Namdev Hardisty, the mastermind behind New Skateboard Graphics, the albums featured in DIY Album Art laid the groundwork for a look copied today by major labels.

Here are some samples from the book

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

buy it herehttp://markbattypublisher.com/books/diy-album-art/

an article from juxtapozhttp://www.juxtapoz.com/Current/qdiy-alb....ade -initiative

sorry about the big pics..

cool idea..though I think the one that takes the cake for me is a Lengu Armada cmp 7" that the cover is a silk screened image on a paper towel napkin cut to size.

fucking brilliant.

FYI I've purchased the materials for the Fest presses this year...oh man people are gonna be confused and annoyed.