Are eBay Prices Destroying Record Collecting

Stop insisting on having every single color variation, or the rarest variant, or an OOP copy and you don't have to worry about this shit. Get out of this collecting mentality.

Once you do that, and enjoy vinyl for it's best features (better sound quality than digital) you won't worry when a label presses a bunch of colors for a record, because one copy will do.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop insisting on having every single color variation, or the rarest variant, or an OOP copy and you don't have to worry about this shit. Get out of this collecting mentality.

Once you do that, and enjoy vinyl for it's best features (better sound quality than digital) you won't worry when a label presses a bunch of colors for a record, because one copy will do.

I mean, in all fairness, some people like the collecting aspect. And people spend crazy amounts of money on all sorts of collections, from records to antique cameras to ceramic plates and all kinds of shit. Hunting down all the rare variants is what makes collecting fun. And other people just aren't the collector type. It's kind of a personality thing.

Granted, if you're collecting, you probably shouldn't go bitching about the prices. It is what it is.

Granted, if you're collecting, you probably shouldn't go bitching about the prices. It is what it is.

Honestly, that's my main issue with it all. I was a collector once. Been there, done that. I finally got out of it because I'd rather have 8 different records than 8 colors of the same record. Anyways, that's beside the point. If someone decides to be a collector they should understand that it gets expensive and they shouldn't bitch that they have to hunt down an expensive variant or OOP record. Nobody forces people to buy those records, so as a collector you bring it on yourself.

Granted, this doesn't apply to popular records that are OOP and haven't been repressed, but them's the breaks. With anything there will always be items that are more difficult to find and will of course demand more money. In those cases you need to decide if paying a lot of money for a record is worth it.

the only people who think that ebay prices actually MEAN anything, are people who are too lazy to look around or too impatient to wait for a good deal around.

its not ebay. its stupid kids who have to have the hype records to brag about this very MINUTE.

all the records kids freak out about going for 50 bucks i see all the time in used bins for just a few bucks, or on messageboards. yeah there are a tons of stupid kids who think that just cause they have a bunch of pieces of plastic they are sitting on gold, and shop them around like its ebay, but that doesnt mean you have to take them up on it. Just skip that, and be patient. 99% of all records show up for cheaply, and relatively easy. if anything you can always just wait for 6 months for the hype to die down, and buy it for 1/10th the release price.

the one thing i cant stand about ebay are the people who have stores and bid on, and most of the time win the auction, and then go ahead and list that same record they just won for say $50 for over $100 in their store. but if people are willing to pay 2 or 3 times what a record initially cost once they start popping up on ebay almost immediately after it goes out of print let them be the suckers.

whats the point of collecting anything if youre not after certain things?