Are eBay Prices Destroying Record Collecting

So, I've been on the board for a couple months now. I have noticed a trend on here that eBay seems to set the price that people are willing to sell or use to leverage a trade. I personally think that eBay is NOT the authority on record prices. I have made an offer on here to individuals a few times now and gotten the response of "The record goes for $XXX on eBay". Therefore my offer, which seemed in all cases to be fair, was rejected. What are you opinions on this. I personally think the overly inflated prices on eBay should not dictate what a record is worth. I apologize if I am recreating a thread that is already there.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how I feel about it. there's been times when I needed the money so I throw something on ebay because I know I'll get more for it. At the same time I've deffinetly been frusterated about wanting a record and not being able to get it cause I can't afford the ebay price of it. It's kind of one of those double edged swords. I do my best to be fair about stuff and I guess that's all you really can do.

I have made an offer on here to individuals a few times now and gotten the response of "The record goes for $XXX on eBay". Therefore my offer, which seemed in all cases to be fair, was rejected.

You have to be more specific here. If I have a record for sale that just sold on ebay for $200, and someone offered me $20, I would respond the same way. That doesn't mean I want $200 for the record, but it can act as a guideline for your next offer. In many cases, you could come back to me with an offer of $150 and I'd take it...hey, it's $50 cheaper than ebay for you.

I don't think ebay is destroying anything. It's people's willingness to spend money on vinyl that is hurting collecting. I used ebay for years and years and it's only recently that prices are getting out of control.

When I sell vinyl, I use ebay as a guide and set a lower price that I feel is appropriate. That way, the buyer isn't getting ripped off, I'm still making money and no one looks like a chump.

eBay at this point is the market for the most part. I would say using it a price guide is not a good idea if you reference one specific auction. Even more than one auction can be tricky but as tricky as any pricing for collecting. I mean, right now records on eBay are a hot commodity and if someone is looking to sell something, why would they take a lot less than they could get from eBay? At some point eBay prices will correct and could even "under-value" certain records. It happens will all collections. I don't think its destroying anything. However, with its prevalence in the mainstream nomenclature you'll be hard pressed to find "deals" on eBay.

I definitely haven't low balled any record to the degree of 10% of the eBay cost. But offering $30ppd for a record that supposedly goes on eBay for $40ppd doesn't seem like I was being unfair. I honestly feel the record is worth $30ppd.

That's just a short-sighted seller. I mean 10 less than an auction or even a few auctions means nothing. Especially when you take in to account eBay fees.

I don't think its necessarily ebay. This trend is common across record stores as well. I know i've seen the same records in three different stores in my town that range from $6-$40. Its hard to really pinpoint a value for any particular record. It has a lot to do with the group of people that buy from particular ebay sellers or shop at certain record stores.

its a double edged sword

like all collectibles... ebay has destroyed the value on stuff that really isnt that rare, and had made those that are actually rare worth more.

also its usually one of the best ways to find super hard to find stuff... some of the bands i collect aren't popular or hip.. so finding their records, especially rarer ones is really difficult...but i was able to find them cheap on ebay :)

eBay is not ruining anything.

Sellers are not ruining anything.

stupid buyer that pay the ridiculous prices are ruining everything.

that's pretty much true, but after an item goes for a good amount, you get five more that pop up with the same price as BIN's so thats partly the seller being greedy. But its because of the buyers that these false values get set up in the first place. so, you're right lol. But, say a record is limited to 50 and 200 people want it, that drives the price up. I think more then anything that limited colors and versions are creating this in the first place. I guess it's fine if different pressings have different colors, but to have 5 colors right off the bat is ridiculous. Again, say a record is limited to 1000 and there's 5 colors, 200 of each. If alot of people want all of the versions, the record will sell out and this creates a false demand for it hence it gets repressed on different colors and the same people buy it.

I agree with that too. I think in the past 10 years, the pressing numbers/amount of colors has gotten out of control. I think it's cool that folks collect all the varients. I'm not that way but I have absolutely nothing against it. I think that record labels are taking it too far with the varients, not the collectors. The record labels aren't really cashing in though. The majority of the over-priced records on eBay are sold by folks like you and me. The record label only made their original set price per record.

My only problem with ebay is that the owner of the record store which I frequent most has actually told me that he sells all of the rarer records that come through the store on ebay. It just sucks because finding a hard to find record in a store at a decent price is awesome, but shit like this let's the dumbasses on ebay get these records and not me.

Yeah, places like that suck. I've heard about places that, when you bring something to the counter, they check popsike / ebay then tell you the price. What's even worse is places, like Celebrated Summer, that are cool and sell things for beyond reasonable prices and never ebay but people will still buy things just to sell.

edit: I'm not going to lie, if I found some converge or isis record for cheap, I'd flip it.