Yet another "Vinyl Bubble" article...

Meh. That is not exactly sound reasoning. Baseball cards and beanie babies went bust, so records will too. The thing is, baseball cards and beanie babies are only valuable as collectibles, records are a medium in and of themselves. Obviously, the value of particular records (and variants) depends on the popularity of the band and/or rarity of the that particular piece, but as a whole, its not an appropriate analogy.

That being said, I did collect football cards. Anyone want to buy some Chicago Bears cards?

My comment which hasn't been approved yet:

Great article which leads to more than a handful of conversations. I run a small, indie label called Suburban Home Records. 3 Years ago, I started Vinyl Collective as a vinyl online store and vinyl imprint and was surprised at how quickly things started taking off. Last year, we had our best year ever (after nearly 13 years as a business) and of course I am concerned that people will lose interest as quickly as they gained it, but I should point out that many of the collectors that support what we do were collecting vinyl long before it was considered cool by the hipsters and I suspect they will be around long after the hipsters start collecting 8 tracks or suspenders or whatever they jump to next. As a one time collector of sports cards (Eric Lindros anyone?), and comic books (I was always partial to Blue Beatle and Green Lantern), I expect many new collectors will find something else when they lost interest, but vinyl has existed in the underground for so long, I don't expect it to go anywhere. I do see Best Buy losing interest but independent retailers will be smart to embrace vinyl and especially used vinyl.

Great read. (great Gregg Jefferies comment).

Virgil Dickerson

www.vinylcollective.com

Guest kevinb

Great article which leads to more than a handful of conversations. I run a small, indie label called Suburban Home Records. 3 Years ago, I started Vinyl Collective as a vinyl online store and vinyl imprint and was surprised at how quickly things started taking off. Last year, we had our best year ever (after nearly 13 years as a business) and of course I am concerned that people will lose interest as quickly as they gained it, but I should point out that many of the collectors that support what we do were collecting vinyl long before it was considered cool by the hipsters and I suspect they will be around long after the hipsters start collecting 8 tracks or suspenders or whatever they jump to next. As a one time collector of sports cards (Eric Lindros anyone?), and comic books (I was always partial to Blue Beatle and Green Lantern), I expect many new collectors will find something else when they lost interest, but vinyl has existed in the underground for so long, I don't expect it to go anywhere. I do see Best Buy losing interest but independent retailers will be smart to embrace vinyl and especially used vinyl.

Virgil Dickerson

www.vinylcollective.com

Are you still entertaining the idea of a used vinyl section ?

Virgil Dickerson

www.vinylcollective.com

Are you still entertaining the idea of a used vinyl section ?

yes, we actually almost have it all figured out

Yeah, I thought I was on my way to becoming rich with all my

Eric Lindros rookie cards.... :(

As a one time collector of sports cards (Eric Lindros anyone?),

Virgil Dickerson

www.vinylcollective.com

fuck man, the hype was insane. I also have a shit ton of shaquille o neil rookie cards thinking that would be a sound investment. whenever i see a beckett at a store, i always thumb through it laughing the entire time