Hey Mercedes Reunion Show Rollcall

cactusbot

The show doesn't even start till 11pm. Are you working an overnight shift somewhere?

Really? The Double Door site says 9.

If it is 11, then I might be able to see Denison Witmer before hand. He plays at 8.

Sorry, I should've clarified; I bet Hey Mercedes won't go on before 11. If doors are at 9, the first band's most likely at 10 and the second band will be at 10:45, with HM going on at 11:30. Even if the first band goes on at 9:30, HM wouldn't go on till 11.

Bump! Getting ready to head to dinner with the ladyfriend then off to the show. Doors are at 8, first band (which apparently features Scott Shoenbeck of the Promise Ring/Dashboard Confessional on bass) go on at 9. Hey Mercedes is playing an 18-song set. Stoked!

I'm wearing a short-sleeve, navy blue button-up shirt if anyone wants to say hi. Just don't interrupt me during "Que Shiraz" -- that shit is my jam.

show was good, first band was ok.

Noise By Numbers played well, but didn't settle in and hit their groove until halfway through their set...and nobody wanted to deal with openers. so people weren't super into em.

HM were great as usual, nothing too crazy to report. they were always a solid band, this show was no different.

Overheard Todd talking to Rick from NBN about how it's basically Vagrant's fault that they broke up for botching the release of their last record. Oof...but I guess that's what you get for signing to a shitty label.

Hoffa gave me a dollar, it was pretty sweet...gave it to the band to up their merch total to a grand $16 dollars

Lots of awkward normals being confused looking at the NBN AOTU 7" at the merch table and not understanding what it was.

met Cactusbot dude too. Yay internet meet ups!

Also met Brent (Cactusbot). Cool dude! The first opener, the Etiquette, just sounded like a shitty Replacements (and randomly, Scott Schoenbeck from the Promise Ring/Dashboard Confessional was playing bass). Noise By Numbers weren't half bad, I'd go see them again.

Hey Mercedes sounded SPOT FUCKING ON. Those dudes only practiced, like, twice for this show, and they hadn't missed a single step. Probably the best I had ever seen them.

It was also about 500 degrees in that room (at least where we were standing; it was cooler back by the merch table where Justin was).

Setlist, for those interested:

Bells

St. James St.

Frowning Of A Lifetime

11 To Your 7

Quit

Go On Drone

A-List Actress

Boy Destroyers

Que Shiraz

Our Weekend Starts On Wednesday

Playing Your Song

It's Been A Blast

Stay Six

Knowing When To Stop

Unorchestrated

ENCORE:

Quality Revenge At Last

Let's Go Blue

Probably the best I had ever seen them.

that's exactly what i was thinking as we were walking out. they were incredible. the little extra drum beats that damon threw into "unorchestrated" were insane. that guy's fucking tops.

noise by numbers was really good. it was fun watching jeff jump around, even though it was like the same jump-kick combo thing every time. and their bass player looks like the creepy guy from little children.