The Smiths Pressing info.

Hello, this is my first post and I'm looking for some help finding pressing info on The Smiths "meat is murder" l.p. I'm trying to track down and original pressing of the record so I can give my best friend something awesome for their birthday.

I've searched high and low and all I've come up with is the possibility of these two labels first releasing it in February of 1985:

SIRE in the US/UK

&

Rough Trade in the UK.

Are these the correct first pressing labels? Or am I going to have to dig deeper?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

oof. aren't the smiths records the most widely pressed/bootlegged band in the world? my friend scott is a big fan and told me this once that there are like 1000 smiths releases when you factor in different pressings/versions for different countries, varying b sides, cover art, etc... good luck!

The easiest one to find is the Sire pressing in the US. And with most major label releases, there isn't really a difference between the first (initial) pressings and later ones. Usually just the matrix numbers are slightly different.

You can always get a gold stamped promo copy. Those are first pressings and earlier in the pressing run and tend to sound better. And the Rough Trade UK pressings all sound great! Same thing, though, not much difference other than matrix etchings.