I'm Mexican, but I don't speak Spanish.

Does this count?

this^^

i get so much shit for it for living out in LA. It's not my fault my parents never taught me and that my HS language-required class could be substituted by an art one. Although I think that has changed. This was before CAHSEE was in effect.

Here's some random suggestions based on what I have been able to find. Mostly metal and surf.

Mexico has a great surf scene, if you like Man or Astroman or other similar bands, check out: Sr. Bikini, Los Coronas, Fenomeno Fuzz, Lost Acapulco.

There are also a million metal bands of all kinds. One of the best I like is The Chasm (and the main dude's previous band, Cenotaph). There is also a thrash revival type band called Piraña that is pretty decent. There are a couple old school death metal bands (a la early Death, Master, Possessed style) that are pretty cool: Teratogeny, Toxodeth, and early Transmetal (this band is huge, but the later stuff gets really lame).

One of my favorite Mexican bands is this old school punk band from the early 80s called Dangerous Rhythm. They have a cdep called Electro Shock that you might be able to find, and a self-titled LP. Both are great, very much influenced by the Clash.

Ska is also huge in Mexico, although I couldn't recommend any band in good conscience. I did happen to see this band called Niño Zombi play here in Albuquerque while on tour, if you Voodoo Glow Skulls type stuff you'd probably dig it. One of the most famous ska bands from the 90s is Maldita Vecindad, but I can't stand it. There is one trad ska band called Toño Quirazco from the 60s, its alright but has a weird hawaiian influence.

I came across this blog awhile back: http://www.mexicore.blogspot.com/. Looks pretty terrible to me, but lots of new metal, "death-core" and other heavy bands.

In general, there are very few indy labels that I've come across when buying music there. There just isn't the money to support a label. Most stuff is available pirated, or online. My sense is the collector aspect of the scene that is so prevalent here is very very small there.

I definitely don't claim to be an expert on the Mexican scene, I just try to pick up a few new bands whenever I go there, but my general impression is that there is a lot in common with the bands, styles of music and scenes between the US, Canada and Europe, but very little in common with Mexico. There is a lot going on in Mexico, but what is popular is a lot different.