My local record store is closing

oakland

Logged in just to express grief/share condolences and Boulder record store reminiscing.

Though I haven't lived in Boulder for a long time, there was a time when Bart's used to rent available vacant space on Pearl St during the holidays to sell close-out/clearance/promo stuff, it was great to dig around there.

Right before Wax Trax Boulder went under, employees hooked me up with LP dividers, so I have a cool souvenir of their used dividers for artists they were no longer stocking.

I will say that 10-12 years ago, Albums was the only store that advertised in my zine, so they always get points in my book. Haven't been there in years, but I thought they were going to do new LPs in that (mostly dance music) space upstairs and then they had a crap-ton of stock used LP fodder in that side room in the basement?

For a very brief period there was a vinyl store in the food court on the hill, at one time upstairs, at one time in the basement. Mostly dance music, I think there was a brief focus on noiser music?

Secondspin.com definitely helped push Wax Trax off the hill. They were the main store buying all the used promo CDs from the various zines (Oakland probably has experience with this).

If I remember correctly, ~15 years ago there was a small CD store in the UMC (before all the renovations to Club 156 and the area), Virgil would remember this best.

Is there still an anarchist book coop in one of the Pearl St basement units? Are there still massive drum circles in front of city hall on Wednesdays? Do they still show movies in the farmer's market parking lot in the summer? Can they sell beer in Club 156? Can you smoke in Club 156 (it was crazy how long the club was the official smoking lounge of the UMC)?

yeah to live in city without a record store like i do sucks . we have an nfl team but no record store wtf is that about .

Well for a while we had some pretty good stores.

We had 2 record stores in down town riverside within like 4 stores from each other for a while. that was nice.

Then the hip hop record store went out of business, then a year later the other shop went under, and then the dead tank distro store that was in riverside and later moved to Main st. went under last year. Now we have just the one place (vinyl frontier) that caters to mostly old classic rock type records.

Logged in just to express grief/share condolences and Boulder record store reminiscing.

Though I haven't lived in Boulder for a long time, there was a time when Bart's used to rent available vacant space on Pearl St during the holidays to sell close-out/clearance/promo stuff, it was great to dig around there.

Right before Wax Trax Boulder went under, employees hooked me up with LP dividers, so I have a cool souvenir of their used dividers for artists they were no longer stocking.

I will say that 10-12 years ago, Albums was the only store that advertised in my zine, so they always get points in my book. Haven't been there in years, but I thought they were going to do new LPs in that (mostly dance music) space upstairs and then they had a crap-ton of stock used LP fodder in that side room in the basement?

For a very brief period there was a vinyl store in the food court on the hill, at one time upstairs, at one time in the basement. Mostly dance music, I think there was a brief focus on noiser music?

Secondspin.com definitely helped push Wax Trax off the hill. They were the main store buying all the used promo CDs from the various zines (Oakland probably has experience with this).

If I remember correctly, ~15 years ago there was a small CD store in the UMC (before all the renovations to Club 156 and the area), Virgil would remember this best.

Is there still an anarchist book coop in one of the Pearl St basement units? Are there still massive drum circles in front of city hall on Wednesdays? Do they still show movies in the farmer's market parking lot in the summer? Can they sell beer in Club 156? Can you smoke in Club 156 (it was crazy how long the club was the official smoking lounge of the UMC)?

Holy shit, I didn't know you used to live in Boulder! We were probably at all the same Angel Hair shows. What was your zine called? What years were you there?

Let's reminisce.

was this the store in the pedestrian mall?

cuz that place fucking suuuuuuuuuuucked

the very same. it generally sucks (like most Denver/Boulder record stores), but I've had some great finds there.

hey guys, it is always a bummer to hear about an indie store closing. Barts was always pretty cool. I actually used to work at Wax Trax Boulder in 1997 and am bummed to see stores dying off one by one. Albums is cool mostly because Andy is a really rad guy, but the store just isn't what is used to be.

I heard about this a few days ago and although I dont' really know anyone at Barts, it was a bummer hearing about it.

yeah to live in city without a record store like i do sucks . we have an nfl team but no record store wtf is that about .

Well for a while we had some pretty good stores.

We had 2 record stores in down town riverside within like 4 stores from each other for a while. that was nice.

Then the hip hop record store went out of business, then a year later the other shop went under, and then the dead tank distro store that was in riverside and later moved to Main st. went under last year. Now we have just the one place (vinyl frontier) that caters to mostly old classic rock type records.

all those were before my collecting time sadly . if i want to buy vinyl there is the one rack in hottopic and the one rack at cd connection and if i ever get there the one rack you told me about at vinyl frontier although i doubt i would find much there . i miss living in tally and going to vinyl fever although at the time i only used it for cds .

all those were before my collecting time sadly . if i want to buy vinyl there is the one rack in hottopic and the one rack at cd connection and if i ever get there the one rack you told me about at vinyl frontier although i doubt i would find much there . i miss living in tally and going to vinyl fever although at the time i only used it for cds .

the same company that owns Bart's also owns Vinyl Fever in Tallahassee and is closing that store as well.

glad I got away from these folks a few years ago as I used to work for them too.