External hd suggestions?

xfedupx

I know little to nothing about stuff like this, so I need any help/suggestions you have.

Im looking into getting a 1 Tb usb external hd for all my music and movies and whatnot. It seems the going price is around 100 bucks for a few of them on Amazon. Is there anything to look for/stay away from?

Guest eriathomas

Pretty much any drive is fine, though I usually try to avoid Maxtor.

I have a Western Digital 500gig drive, that I really like the look of, so i'll probably be getting a matching 1tb one soon. My only complaint is that does not draw power from the usb connection.

I have a Western Digital 500gig drive, that I really like the look of, so i'll probably be getting a matching 1tb one soon. My only complaint is that does not draw power from the usb connection.

Western Digital also has 2.5" external drives that come in 500gb and 1tb (I have two 500gb ones). They are small, light, silent and only draw power from a single usb connection.

Pretty much any drive is fine, though I usually try to avoid Maxtor.

Yup! FUCK MAXTOR. I've worked for a computer repair store years back and Maxtors were the most troublesome.

Western Digital is great.

Newegg.com is great

Missed out on a 1.5TB WD External for 89.99 a few weeks back. Still kicking myself for that!

Western Digital also has 2.5" external drives that come in 500gb and 1tb (I have two 500gb ones). They are small, light, silent and only draw power from a single usb connection.

The only downside is they're slower; spinning at 5400RPM.

i've fried internal WD and Seagate but i still have love. Maxtor is garbage.

currently, my 500gb external WD is sitting here and doesn't work. i have yet to crack the case and make an internal attempt with it. the blue light comes on but doesn't fire. boo.

i kinda prefer Seagate. good prices, i like using everything internal though. externals like to fall over and off the top of my cpu tower all the time haha.