Vinyl/CD combo

I picked up what I thought was a mars volta sampler cd. On the back it said "Vinyl side: 1.Candy and a currant bun. CD side: 1.Candy and a currant bun. 2. wax simulacra video. I thought it just meant a version of the song off of the vinyl version of the album. But after I open the packaging I come to discover that the top of the disc is vinyl and the bottom is a cd. I've never seen or heard of this before. Has anyone else heard or seen of this before? Know of any other releases like this?

it's called a VinylDisc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VinylDisc

it was a very shortlived format that came out near the end of 2007. there's at least 4 singles that were put out in this format, TMV single, the Paramore single, a single from Fightstar, and some local band in L.A. whose name I don't recall but I kept seeing it in the used bins at Amoeba.

played with a band years ago that had done a lathe-cut on top of a CD. The CD was unplayable I think, and the grooves on the top had a short shelf life