help shipping records to the UK!

so i have a guy from the UK trying to bid on some records on my ebay autions and i dont ship overseas cuz i have been screwed in the past a few times. well im feeling froggy and the guy messaged me first so i told him i would find out how much it would be to ship them to him in case he does win. so i went to the post office and got the people there to quote me. for five pounds (he wants to bid on four records and i want to cover my bases) to the UK would be $44 according to them and the usps.com. thats without any kind of confirmation or anything. he was saying its normally like $15-20. any thoughts here?

also if its 4lbs or under they have a "First-Class Mail® International Package" which can have max dimensions of 36 inches, have any of you guys used this?

yes if you can get the package under four pounds it's definitely worth it to you and the dude in the uk. i try not to ship anything overseas if its gonna be over 4 lbs, otherwise they are gonna have to pay out the ass or not buy the records, up to them. get the package weighed before the auction ends and let him know exactly what its gonna cost, thats the best thing you can do.

You can ship First Class Mail International when your package is not over 4 pounds. After that, the cheaper option is Priority Mail International.

I'm guessing your package is 4 pounds and a couple ounces, because if you ship 4 pounds to the UK It's $31.40. 4 pounds and 1 ounce is $43.45.

Also, I'm not sure but I think when you ship Priority Mail International you get some kind of Insurance for the whole shipping charge you paid plus part of the price of the declared content.

theres a way to block bidders if you dont want to ship overseas. you set just your domestic shipping prices and select no international shipping. then, theres a buyers restrictions section -- select block bidders who are registered in countries that i dont ship to -- something to that effect. then you wont have to deal w/ intl folks bidding if you dont want to ship there.

^^^

ill have to check on that, i select no international shipping but i think they can still bid, it just gets hairy when it comes to making them pay the correct shipping. i dont want this to come off like i dont want to ship to other countries, i just dont want to come out of my pocket to ship anything, period.

i think he has already been bidding on the records and i specifically put no international shipping in my auctions. awesome. i feel for you over seas dudes, but you gotta pay to play.

If you put no international shipping on your listings then you don't have to send them to him.

thats true, but then you have to wait a whole bidding period again.

As a UK resident, I buy quite a lot of vinyl from the US. I normally pay about $20-$25 (give or take) for 4 12" vinyl so $44 sounds a bit steep to me. If I send vinyl to the US, 4 12"s would be about £13 or £14 so maybe about $22 US. But that's based on UK postage rates so I can't be 100% for what you guys have to pay!

As a UK resident, I buy quite a lot of vinyl from the US. I normally pay about $20-$25 (give or take) for 4 12" vinyl so $44 sounds a bit steep to me. If I send vinyl to the US, 4 12"s would be about £13 or £14 so maybe about $22 US. But that's based on UK postage rates so I can't be 100% for what you guys have to pay!

that's pretty much spot on.

i have no problem at all shipping stuff overseas. if the buyer is willing to pay the shipping cost then what's the problem? the process of taking the record to the post office is still the same (apart from having to fill in that little customs sticker) so it really doesn't bother me. for expensive items i insist on tracking which costs extra but i do that for domestic items anyway.

that's pretty much spot on.

i have no problem at all shipping stuff overseas. if the buyer is willing to pay the shipping cost then what's the problem? the process of taking the record to the post office is still the same (apart from having to fill in that little customs sticker) so it really doesn't bother me. for expensive items i insist on tracking which costs extra but i do that for domestic items anyway.

I also believe international bidders are willing to pay more for US records (and they have the money due to the strong Euro) than US residents....

I say just do it....if they have high feedback. I have been sending stuff all over the place, UK, Belgium, Germany, Australia.....If they have High 100% feedback I'll send it 1st class, been fine so far. If it's low forget it unless they want to pay for registered mail. Simple as that. You may want to do registered if its a real expensive sale also......

the problem im running into isnt that i wont ship the records to him, the kid is telling me that $30-35 is to much and that im trying to make money on shipping. i was just hoping there was mistake i was making somewhere calculating shipping.

$30 does seem too high. can't you just take the package to the post office and have it weighed? that's what i did when a guy from the US bought a few records from me. it's a pain in the ass but the best way to be accurate.