Cartridge or Receiver?

Question for ya all: I've been having problems getting sound out of both of my speakers while using my 'table. My cd player works fine but the sound goes in and out of my left speaker while listening to records. I thought at first it was just my speaker wire but that is all good.

I have a 70's Pioneer receiver. Is it just the input on the receiver or is my cartridge done for? I'm not too familiar with receivers so I'm kinda nervous to take it all apart to look at it.

i had this same exact problem with my early 80s pioneer receiver. the tuner sounded fine (both left and right channels), but my TT would only get the right. I got some DeOxit, opened up my receiver, and cleaned all of the potentiometers (fancy word for the contact parts on the inside of all of the knobs (volume, balance, bass, everything with moving knobs or buttons). Now it sounds like a million bucks. You can get DeOxit from guitar center, and i know some Radio Shacks have it too. Try that and see if it helps you. There are some youtube vids of people doing it as well. If it were your cart, you'd probably be getting a ton of distortion through both channels, but this would be a good way to rule out your receiver.

recently had this problem. turned out to be the connection between headshell and tonearm. you might try cleaning the connections with rubbing alcohol. can also try swapping the plugs from your turntable into the receiver or jiggling them around, pinching the end, etc. to see if that changes things at all.