UPCOMING BOSTON SHOWS

i'm also glad kids are giving away tactics as to how to get the bands even less money!

yay!

well since the minor won't be able to get in anyways and pay money...

i bet that kid would end up spending more on merch that a 21+ which ends up helping the band more anyways in the long run.

i don't think i've ever gotten on a glist and NOT bought merch from the band besides a huge show like NOFX

i got a free ticket to the Nofx/Larry Arms loved ones show and walked out with $50 worth of merch.

well you do have multiple lawrence arms tattoos

ps.

can you please yell at dan and mmmC for this thead

http://www.tonyandpals.com/v6/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2497

they are being fucking dumbasses

in this day and age I think its kind of shitty to not guarantee a band on tour money. if you cant promote the show and get kids to come out the band shouldn't be hurt by that, you should, and you should have to pay them for the gas they used. I kinda get irritated by the "i don't do guarantee' thing, because in some cases (not talking about thread dude) if the show flops the promoter doesn't have to do a thing to help that band out. Ive witnessed it a few times, its complete shit. I guarantee all touring bands I book at LEAST 75 - 100 bucks a night, therefor, if the show fails, yeah maybe im out some money, but a band I dig is able to fill their tank and get some food on their way to the next nights show. Maybe im just old, but I just think you shouldn't book bands if you can't help them out if a show fails miserably.

Guest scriptedrain
I guarantee all touring bands I book at LEAST 75 - 100 bucks a night, therefor, if the show fails, yeah maybe im out some money, but a band I dig is able to fill their tank and get some food on their way to the next nights show. Maybe im just old, but I just think you shouldn't book bands if you can't help them out if a show fails miserably.

That's how it should be done. Props to you. +1

in this day and age I think its kind of shitty to not guarantee a band on tour money. if you cant promote the show and get kids to come out the band shouldn't be hurt by that, you should, and you should have to pay them for the gas they used. I kinda get irritated by the "i don't do guarantee' thing, because in some cases (not talking about thread dude) if the show flops the promoter doesn't have to do a thing to help that band out. Ive witnessed it a few times, its complete shit. I guarantee all touring bands I book at LEAST 75 - 100 bucks a night, therefor, if the show fails, yeah maybe im out some money, but a band I dig is able to fill their tank and get some food on their way to the next nights show. Maybe im just old, but I just think you shouldn't book bands if you can't help them out if a show fails miserably.

Same here. I've only booked a few shows, but even the one that flopped I shelled out $125 of my own cash. Not having a guarantee is bogus.

dude, you live in pittsburgh.

i love pittsburgh, but the kids don't have as much to do here, and people here in boston don't support shit. the clubs that people go to take $300-$500 off the door, the smaller clubs take $100-140 off. it's just not feasable with those cuts to realistically say "yeah i can pay you X amount of dollars no matter what happens." i promote, and i promote well, and the shows i set up average about 100-150 at the more expensive venues, and about 60 at the smaller ones. these aren't sold out, but are comfortable filled. even with that, i have about $200 to pay out to bands on a good night. two touring bands will get $100 and leave the locals with nothing? no i give touring bands $75 and $25 to the locals. all in theory sold merch, had some free drinks, and are happy.

i do so many shows in a month, that to pay $125 out of pocket would financially ruin me, and it's not like i make anything off these shows to begin with, so where am i getting that $125? from my rent?

so yeah, no guarantees moneywise. usually the bands get paid gas money, get a place to sleep, get free food or discounted food, but boston is A LOT different in terms of booking than pittsburgh is.

adding: that being said, i always take care of the bands. i give them places to stay, i have a room mate who makes a big pot of coffee in the mornings and cooks a gigantic vegan brunch that is better than anything any of us have tasted (i eat meat. his brunch is better than any meat brunch), we pick up beer if they need it, and personally buy merch from bands.

i love pittsburgh, but the kids don't have as much to do here, and people here in boston don't support shit. the clubs that people go to take $300-$500 off the door, the smaller clubs take $100-140 off. it's just not feasable with those cuts to realistically say "yeah i can pay you X amount of dollars no matter what happens." i promote, and i promote well, and the shows i set up average about 100-150 at the more expensive venues, and about 60 at the smaller ones. these aren't sold out, but are comfortable filled. even with that, i have about $200 to pay out to bands on a good night. two touring bands will get $100 and leave the locals with nothing? no i give touring bands $75 and $25 to the locals. all in theory sold merch, had some free drinks, and are happy.

i do so many shows in a month, that to pay $125 out of pocket would financially ruin me, and it's not like i make anything off these shows to begin with, so where am i getting that $125? from my rent?

so yeah, no guarantees moneywise. usually the bands get paid gas money, get a place to sleep, get free food or discounted food, but boston is A LOT different in terms of booking than pittsburgh is.

adding: that being said, i always take care of the bands. i give them places to stay, i have a room mate who makes a big pot of coffee in the mornings and cooks a gigantic vegan brunch that is better than anything any of us have tasted (i eat meat. his brunch is better than any meat brunch), we pick up beer if they need it, and personally buy merch from bands.

start doing all of your shows at asia, you would make a killing!

lol

being in pittsburgh has nothing to do with it. I've been booking bands in Erie, PA for the last 8 years. I'm not knocking what you're doing, its awesome you book bands and shows, I was just voicing my thoughts that is all. but to continue with this discussion, I shall.

your rent is considerably cheap I think. In Erie, rent for ANY show I do runs between $375 and $500, and when I booked shows at forward hall they were charging me from $250 + $1 a head to $750 flat depending on who was running the venue at the time. Here in Pittsburgh, it seems to be different, rent goes from $50 or 25% of the door (its 100 capacity, so highest i've ever paid was $250) which ever is greater at roboto project to $1500 for some of the large capacity rooms that hold 500 - 600 kids.

I don't think Boston is any different than NYC, Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Its hard to get kids to come out for unhyped bands anywhere. There is just as much going on in Boston as there is in Pittsburgh. Maybe pittsburgh is smaller in size and population, but there is still a billion things going on every night here, competing for the same audience and fanbase as each other. I've lost money on half the shows i've booked here, but I still pay the bands what I promise them because being on tour playing a small show and leaving the end of the night with $20 is absolutely disheartening for young bands.

Its great that you take care of bands, house them, feed them, all that. Im just talking about doing no guarantee's being my issue. Have you had shows completely fail and not paid a touring band before? I hope you never have too.

i have not ever not paid a touring band. ever. and i never will.

i won't make a guarantee, but like, the Methadones/Copyrights were on tour and i got them a show and they said "can we get $400 for the two bands?" and i knew it was a tuesday, and i said "i'll do what i can." they ended up making i think a little over $150 each with door and merch. so they came close, they got free drinks, they had a great time.

for me, it comes down to doing what i can. and usually, i do a pretty good job.

look bottom line is, as long as you take care of the bands it shouldn't matter. Booking shows in houston is hard to. but you knwo what the bands i work with know i will take care of them. and if you are fair to bands thats all that matters. the show could suck, but you know what, that shit isn't anyone's fault.

do what you can, and just keep doing shows!

look bottom line is, as long as you take care of the bands it shouldn't matter. Booking shows in houston is hard to. but you knwo what the bands i work with know i will take care of them. and if you are fair to bands thats all that matters. the show could suck, but you know what, that shit isn't anyone's fault.

do what you can, and just keep doing shows!

i beg to differ,

the bottom line is that work is going to be very hard to get to the morning after this...

I once paid Brand New $7 for a show. I gave their tourmates the Reunion Show the other $7 I made that night, too. It was pretty awesome.

Also, local bands should never, ever get paid unless they are a HUGE local draw.

Nothing against you Scott, but that whole statement sounds pretty shitty, considering you don't even pay to go see shows anymore.