Why Are We Here?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We grow everyday. We learn, we understand, we create. A good deal of this creation is aimed at destruction or the asinine notion of deterrence.

Our global society has the collective demeanor of a 5 year old child (a bratty one, at that). We don't share our toys or treats, and nobody is allowed near our shoe box fort. Me. Mine.

We've been so focused on accumulation of "wealth" and resources that accumulation of wisdom and insight has been completely ignored.

Combine.

Terrifying.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, in fact I wish that we were more open to those concepts. However, if we want to answer this question we need to look at it from the perspective of how the world is instead of the ideal reality. If we were put here for a purpose maybe there is a reason that these ideas persist and are so prevalent.

People have always had selfish, greedy desires and to think that this does not play a factor in what we are doing on this planet is to ignore a trait possessed by many. Perhaps they exist to make the search for meaning and well-being a struggle.

You are implying that the I is not important in this discussion which it most certainly is.

And if we are going to focus on the WE then it must be considered that the whole is made up of individuals with their own self-interests.

Correct.

Consider one of those hippie communes (and I am NOT a communist -- just using an example).

It is a collective made up of individuals, each with their own separate identities, personalities, and roles within that micro-society. Presumably, they are all there voluntarily and in doing so are serving their own self-interests. Perhaps one member was simply lost in life and sought new direction and kinship. Perhaps another wanted to live in a more natural state free of material distraction. Another still, just for the weed and weekly orgies. Yet each of these very distinct and very self-serving individuals plays a greater role in their society beyond solely serving the self. What is your role? Whom or what do you serve besides solely yourself?

We devised religion, presumably to fill this need of higher purpose and to make ourselves feel good about being such selfish, arrogant bastards. Unfortunately, it couldn't be agreed upon which of these manufactured deities is most worthy of worship. So we came up with many, each supposedly as righteous as their counterparts, and went our separate ways. Hmmm. They don't like each other, it seems. Or is it really just us? What we created to unite us has lead, arguably, to a more factional society than what would have existed without. Doesn't seem to be working.

So why not philosophy? Is it just not religion without the trinkets and judgement?

You certainly make valid points, sir. Your example of the hippie commune is interesting but those people are also there serving a common purpose and chose to be there. We did not have a choice in inhabiting this planet, for better or worse. This leads to a sense of entitlement for each individual, religious organization and country something that may not be as present in a community that one voluntarily joins.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, in fact I wish that we were more open to those concepts. However, if we want to answer this question we need to look at it from the perspective of how the world is instead of the ideal reality. If we were put here for a purpose maybe there is a reason that these ideas persist and are so prevalent.

People have always had selfish, greedy desires and to think that this does not play a factor in what we are doing on this planet is to ignore a trait possessed by many. Perhaps they exist to make the search for meaning and well-being a struggle.

But that's the problem, in my eyes.

How the world is: a patchwork quilt of ideas stiched together in no discernable pattern, with no discernable purpose, for no discernable reason.

Rather than stich a new square and partially obscure (read: invalidate) another, perhaps it may be prudent to start something else.

We discard material possessions, begotten of our own labor and expense, at the first sign of slight wear without a second thought. Yet have a vice like grip when it comes to concepts and ideas that show that same wear. How do you explain that?

I honestly wish I could explain it. I wish we lived in a world where progression of one's self was held in higher regard than archaic traditions that serve only to perpetuate concepts no longer applicable or even useful.

It would be beautiful if we could be united in a common purpose for the betterment of our world, ourselves, our communities, etc but I don't know if I - or anyone I know - will live to see that day and that is unfortunate.

We grow everyday. We learn, we understand, we create. A good deal of this creation is aimed at destruction or the asinine notion of deterrence.

Our global society has the collective demeanor of a 5 year old child (a bratty one, at that). We don't share our toys or treats, and nobody is allowed near our shoe box fort. Me. Mine.

We've been so focused on accumulation of "wealth" and resources that accumulation of wisdom and insight has been completely ignored.

Combine.

Terrifying.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part but I would argue, particularly the last 30 years, or growth and creation has not been for the better. I actually think the creating we've done lately has actually led to a society that's disprotionally removed from the rest of the earth. (See Typhoon out East where the only animals that died were humans). To me, all of our best inventions have already been discovered (Basic calculus and physics principles, etc), and we've gotten to the point in our lives that we waste our minds on such meaningless drivel, that we've stoped actually looking at or creating things that matter (American news media, reality tv, etc). I mean, the internet is great but you cannot tell me that the quality of life today is better than the quality of like 30-40 years ago. Plus Capitalism is on the brink of collapsing on itself.

The combination of these factors will be the death of us and no, I don't believe there is any chance for long term survival. We'll be lucky when it's all said in done if another species anywhere can discover any written word that we've left behind.

We've chewed this place up and eventually it's going to spit us out. Not that I necessarily blame humans per se, any animal with the same cognitive abilities as humans would've eventually fallen to the same demise.