Record Stores in NYC?

I'm going to NYC for week or so and I have a couple afternoons open to go record shopping! I'll be staying in Manhattan but I'll also be in and around Brooklyn, so where should I check out?

You can check my tradelist to see what kind of stuff I'm into but I won't really be on the hunt for anything. I just have an afternoon to enjoy hitting up a few cool stores.

Thanks. ;D

I went to Bleeker St records last year and wasn't too impressed. I'll be there in 2 weeks, so I think we'll go to Generation records and some other ones.

Bleeker to me is like a watered down Generation I think they are owned by the same dude or something like that so you might as well just go to the better of the two.....plus this place Thunder Jacksons is right by Generation and they have amazing Burgers and Das Boot a 96once Glass boot full of any beer on tap its like pure heaven.

Subterranean Records

(212) 463-8900

5 Cornelia St, New York, NY 10014

between Bleeker & W. 4th

This place is closed, which is no travesty.

If I had to rate the best stores for buying new LPs it would be Generation (which specializes in punk and metal), Bleeker Street(more mainstream version of Generation and owned by the same people but are far stupider at pricing rare records), and Other Music (Hipster Lps, aka, National, Animal Collective). Dudes at Generation are very nice as well.

Best stores for used LPs are the 2 Academy Records Stores, 1 on 12th street between 1st Ave and Ave A in Manhattan and the one on North 6 between berry and whythe (i think). Sound Fix is a cheaper version of Other Music with an inferior used section. Earwax is ok for new stuff but the most overpriced store for used records.

Gimme Gimme records, on either 5th or 6th street in the East Village isnt bad, other than the owner being a douche who prices all of his rare records based on the ebay prices and does not negotiate. Kim's is ok too, i guess, on 1st avenue at 7th street.

Hospital Productions is for private press/cassette noise stuff, and I forget exactly where it is.

Theres also another awful store on 12th street around 5th avenue called Second Hand Rose records. My friend and I have managed to piss of the owners on several occasions because of their overpricedness, though they did used to have a few copies of the Sigur Ros LP Takk for 60.

Generation Records is awesome, only place worth going into.

How can you say Generation is the only one worth going into if Bleeker Street is owned by the same people?

The problem with NYC record stores is that you're just not going to find a deal on good used records anymore. It's so picked over in the area but hey it comes with the territory.

Brooklyn

- Permenant Records is a great store. A lot of indie and has one of the better funk/soul collections in the area. Nothing like Dusty Groove in Chicago but still pretty solid.

- Sound Fix is the perfect place to meet all your indie needs.

- Ear Wax is okay but nothing terrific. Most of the stuff here you can find at Sound Fix but if you price shop sometimes you'll save a couple of bucks here or there by getting it at the right store.

- Academy- Don't waste your time.

Manhattan

- Generation Records and Subterranean for any punk needs in the city.

- Other Music is THE Manhattan indie store as well as the best selection of new 7"s and around the area. No question.

Go into it expecting to overpay a buck or two for hard to find gems on new vinyl and you'll be pleased. If you expect to find anything for cheap at an uninformed store then you may end up slightly disappointed.

Generation Records is awesome, only place worth going into.

- Academy- Don't waste your time.

Go into it expecting to overpay a buck or two for hard to find gems on new vinyl and you'll be pleased. If you expect to find anything for cheap at an uninformed store then you may end up slightly disappointed.

That part about academy I cannot agree with. Granted both stores are better informed of ebay prices they still underprice stuff all the time. I got an original UK pressing of the Boards of canada LP Music Has the RIght for 30 bucks recently and my buddy got Campfire Headphase for the same price. Both go on ebay for at least 60 bucks regularly. They get the best influx of used records of any of the stores here. Princeton is the only worthy competitor for used stuff.

Ive been to permanent 3 times or so and have been unimpressed.

Also, don't forget that Sunday in Park Slope there is a punk record festival which is promising. Armageddon Shop and Double Decker will be there, both awesome stores.

Yeah, I was just in Brooklyn for a concert with The National. Definitely a nice place, especially in the less busy areas. Made the trip to Other Music which is ideal for indie vinyl, and have a great used selection as well.

Ah you went to the BAM show. You didn't happen to take the bus over from the listening party did you? Was there an awareness by people at BAM that the bus was there and what had happened with it?

gheorge77- Note I don't think Academy is a bad store, but when you are visiting you only have so much time to hit everything. I would just select others that's all. In my opinion if you're going to go for used, it's worth the trip to Princeton. It's easily the best used record store I've ever been in (and it's not even close).

Yeah, I was just in Brooklyn for a concert with The National. Definitely a nice place, especially in the less busy areas. Made the trip to Other Music which is ideal for indie vinyl, and have a great used selection as well.

Ah you went to the BAM show. You didn't happen to take the bus over from the listening party did you? Was there an awareness by people at BAM that the bus was there and what had happened with it?

gheorge77- Note I don't think Academy is a bad store, but when you are visiting you only have so much time to hit everything. I would just select others that's all. In my opinion if you're going to go for used, it's worth the trip to Princeton. It's easily the best used record store I've ever been in (and it's not even close).

No, I wasn't aware until I checked the web later. In fact, we got to Other Music around 5:45, so I figured I'd shop and then try to get in the annex. Then when I came out they were all inside and the guy said it was closed and only 50 tonight. I didn't really care because I just wanted to hear the outtakes they had with the headphones....but yeah, I was glad they did that. Just wish I would have known haha...free tickets!