recommend me some good fiction

Guest kylewilliam

extremely loud and incredibly close - jonathan safran foer

(Oskar Schell, hero of this brilliant follow-up to Foer's bestselling Everything Is Illuminated, is a nine-year-old amateur inventor, jewelry designer, astrophysicist, tambourine player and pacifist. Like the second-language narrator of Illuminated, Oskar turns his naïvely precocious vocabulary to the understanding of historical tragedy, as he searches New York for the lock that matches a mysterious key left by his father when he was killed in the September 11 attacks, a quest that intertwines with the story of his grandparents, whose lives were blighted by the firebombing of Dresden.)

Excellent choice Allison. Amazing book, but super emotional. +1

anyone got any good recommendations for something easy to read and enjoyable for someone who doesn't read much?

The Sunset Limited - Cormac McCarthy

Short dialogue between two people basically about good and evil. Really quick, and very interesting. Usually found in the drama/plays section of big book stores.

The Giver - Lois Lowry

If you haven't read this, do it. Easily one of my favorite books, despite it's targeted audience. I have read it a few times since I first did in middle school, and it only gets better.

Also, updated my earlier post with descriptions and a correction...

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

The book consists of six nested stories that take us from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or watched) by the main character in the next. All stories but the last one get interrupted at some moment, and after "Sloosha's Crossin' an' Ev'rythin' After" concludes at the center of the book, the novel "goes back" in time, "closing" each story as the book progresses in terms of pages but regresses in terms of the historical period in which the action takes place. Eventually, readers end where they started, with Adam Ewing in the Pacific Ocean, circa 1850.