Sarah Palin Blames Environmentalists Fr Gulf Spill

One thing I think that gets missed in all this is the biochemical component. Almost everything we own, our computers, our cars, bike parts, solar panels, televisions, the list goes on and on ... is made from plastics, which are made from oil. We are going to need plastics for medical purposes and transportation forever, or until someone comes up with a cost-effective and stable way to make tough plastics out of soybeans and shit like that. People are trying for sure, but with not a lot of success...

I think Oakland's post hits the nail on the head. I think that most of the arguments in this thread are focusing on the periphery, rather than the problem at the core...that we are much more reliant on oil than we think. Unless we are willing to quit buying computers, cell phones, records (since we are all on a vinyl collector message board), and anything else that has plastic in it, we will need to drill for oil (or find cost effective, viable alternatives). There is one reason that BP is drilling for oil offshore. Money. They can make a huge profit. Wind and solar just don't offer that (at this point).

I think Oakland's post hits the nail on the head. I think that most of the arguments in this thread are focusing on the periphery, rather than the problem at the core...that we are much more reliant on oil than we think. Unless we are willing to quit buying computers, cell phones, records (since we are all on a vinyl collector message board), and anything else that has plastic in it, we will need to drill for oil (or find cost effective, viable alternatives). There is one reason that BP is drilling for oil offshore. Money. They can make a huge profit. Wind and solar just don't offer that (at this point).

The necessity for oil in other products (textiles, plastics, medicines, etc) only further strengthens the argument for not using as much to refine into gasoline. Oil for fuel is the main profit for drillers--despite the importance of it in many other products.

Oil industry has destroyed every aspect of Louisiana's coastline (except oil-related jobs). Pollution, prevention of marsh restorations, shitty landowners, and subsidence rates like you wouldn't believe. Doesn't matter how far in or out you drill. Without adequate contingency plans, regulatory oversight, and reinvestment into environmental projects, you're fucking us all.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the state has always looked the other way with the petro-chem industry. While that hopefully won't continue, a large part of the problem lies with us.

Oil industry has destroyed every aspect of Louisiana's coastline (except oil-related jobs). Pollution, prevention of marsh restorations, shitty landowners, and subsidence rates like you wouldn't believe. Doesn't matter how far in or out you drill. Without adequate contingency plans, regulatory oversight, and reinvestment into environmental projects, you're fucking us all.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the state has always looked the other way with the petro-chem industry. While that hopefully won't continue, a large part of the problem lies with us.

Not just "you" though. We as a nation are far too reliable on a product we cannot produce to match our "needs." The nations who do produce are nations "we" shouldn't be doing business with; nations like Saudi Arabia and Russia. The Saudi's have horrible human rights records and Russia is just bat-shit crazy lately.