Sarah Palin Blames Environmentalists Fr Gulf Spill

It's indirect and sensational saying that it's the environmentalists fault. But the bigger issue brought up is that it's safer to drill for oil on land or shallower (ie ANWAR) than it is to drill in the deep ocean.

Its safest to drill nowhere and poor money in to viable alternatives, vehicle engine reduction, better fuel standards, etc.

The USA has enough access to solar power to power the entire world. Wind farms are insanely safe. Further, speaking about just motor vehicles, the average person only drives about 30 miles/day and could get all of that, with ease, from a totally electric car.

How about instead of talking about needing to drill here, drill now - which by the way won't reduce costs at all - we talk about drill nowhere, drill never and get involved with alternatives.

Oh and lets not get in to all the wells BP has its not using.

i saw this the other day and i can't even say i'm surprised anymore

the things she say are just so unbelievably retarded i dont know where to start with them

this may take the cake for being the dumbest thing she's ever said though.

on the one hand i agree that people should just ignore her and stop giving her publicity or any credibility, but she gets positive publicity from fox news and her crazy right wing disciples, so on the other hand she can't be ignored and sites like the huff post and nbc should discredit her and point out how ridiculously stupid and unfounded the things she says are

It's indirect and sensational saying that it's the environmentalists fault. But the bigger issue brought up is that it's safer to drill for oil on land or shallower (ie ANWAR) than it is to drill in the deep ocean.

Its safest to drill nowhere and poor money in to viable alternatives, vehicle engine reduction, better fuel standards, etc.

The USA has enough access to solar power to power the entire world. Wind farms are insanely safe. Further, speaking about just motor vehicles, the average person only drives about 30 miles/day and could get all of that, with ease, from a totally electric car.

How about instead of talking about needing to drill here, drill now - which by the way won't reduce costs at all - we talk about drill nowhere, drill never and get involved with alternatives.

Not that I take all that they say as gospel, because they've made a fair share of mistakes, but a few weeks ago the freakonomics blog had an article about how this is kind of a misconception, based on Denmark who everyone looks to as a perfect model.

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/for-whom-the-wind-blows/

Also, I saw a bumper sticker today, in Buffalo, that said "Don't blame me, I voted for Palin!" First of all, blame you for what? Secondly, voted for Palin in what election? Her VP run? VPs don't do much, why would you vote just for her and not McCain, the guy on the ticket that mattered? Thirdly, I'm not going to blame you for anything other than being a fucking idiot for supporting that dunce.

Solar power is great and I think we should invest more money it, but right now it is much too expensive to be considered a viable resource for the entire economy.

For the time being, the US has to drill so why are we not doing it in Alaska instead of 5000 feet underwater?

To highlight part of that Freakonomics post -

First, while it’s quite true that Denmark no longer imports oil, it’s not because of wind. Instead, it’s because—sensitive topic here—it has pursued an active offshore drilling program. In fact, Denmark is an exporter of oil due to its aggressive exploration of the North Sea. But more importantly, while Denmark is indeed off the oil-import habit, it now imports all its coal, and as wind power increases these coal imports “show little sign of declining.”

The reason for this continued reliance on coal is simple: wind, being wind, isn’t always blowing. What this means for Denmark—which is heavily reliant on coal—is that demand for coal literally shifts with it. Sometimes the wind is blowing when you need it; then you use it. Sometimes it is not blowing when you need it; then you use another energy source—again, in Denmark’s case, coal.

Also, I saw a bumper sticker today, in Buffalo, that said "Don't blame me, I voted for Palin!" First of all, blame you for what? Secondly, voted for Palin in what election? Her VP run? VPs don't do much, why would you vote just for her and not McCain, the guy on the ticket that mattered? Thirdly, I'm not going to blame you for anything other than being a fucking idiot for supporting that dunce.

that...is fucking amazing. How am I not surprised that her supporters don't quite have a solid grasp on the election process...

Wind farms are insanely safe.

you think? they really mess up migratory patterns for lots of birds.

you can't win with the environment.

Not true. Wind farms kill less birds than airplanes, I believe the stat is. The idea that wind farms screw up birds is not true.

And other countries mine for oil 5000 feet deep without issue. If we want to do that we need regulations like those countries have. Its not that difficult and it has ZERO to do with environmentalists protecting ANWAR - which we should do by the way. It has everything to do with the regulatory mess Reagan started that continues to this day.

As for this whole "solar is too expensive" argument: things get cheaper when they're mass produced. Solar power for a single home is very expensive. Solar for 50 homes in a farm on cheap, desert land, is cheaper. If the country just said fuck it, we're sinking money here, we'll give subsidies like they do to farm soybeans, it would get cheap real fast. Its a catch-22, b.s. argument. It would get cheaper if it were mass produced.

To highlight part of that Freakonomics post -
First, while it’s quite true that Denmark no longer imports oil, it’s not because of wind. Instead, it’s because—sensitive topic here—it has pursued an active offshore drilling program. In fact, Denmark is an exporter of oil due to its aggressive exploration of the North Sea. But more importantly, while Denmark is indeed off the oil-import habit, it now imports all its coal, and as wind power increases these coal imports “show little sign of declining.”

The reason for this continued reliance on coal is simple: wind, being wind, isn’t always blowing. What this means for Denmark—which is heavily reliant on coal—is that demand for coal literally shifts with it. Sometimes the wind is blowing when you need it; then you use it. Sometimes it is not blowing when you need it; then you use another energy source—again, in Denmark’s case, coal.

Have you been to California's desert lands? You know how often the sun does not shine? Maybe, maybe a handful of days out of year. Solar + Wind = no fossil fuels.

Isn't the efficiency of solar panels the issue? I don't know much about them, but i had a professor go on a huge rant about how impractical they are because of something like that. This was also 5 years ago, though.

I know that's an issue for certain. But there's a ton of unused land. While that does impact the environment, I would venture is far less than raising the temp of the entire planet.

And again, if you invest in the technology its get better and cheaper. Me personally, I don't believe we can just wait for it to get better and cheaper, we have to help it get there.

One thing I think that gets missed in all this is the biochemical component. Almost everything we own, our computers, our cars, bike parts, solar panels, televisions, the list goes on and on ... is made from plastics, which are made from oil. We are going to need plastics for medical purposes and transportation forever, or until someone comes up with a cost-effective and stable way to make tough plastics out of soybeans and shit like that. People are trying for sure, but with not a lot of success.

That said, I think the offshore drilling debate has pretty much been put to rest, so you liberals should feel pretty good about that. That's one hell of a shitty way to win an argument though.

you think? they really mess up migratory patterns for lots of birds.

you can't win with the environment.

Not true. Wind farms kill less birds than airplanes, I believe the stat is. The idea that wind farms screw up birds is not true.

Thank you.

Not to attack "adam muzzy" (considering a lot of people believe exactly what he posted), but I was really glad to see your response as I scrolled to post basically the same thing.

although there is plenty on the following site that can be taken with a grain of salt, they give a very broad overview of the subject.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/04/common_misconce.php

another good book for information on bird fatalities via wind turbine can be read (i believe) in full-text format here:

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11935

As for this whole "solar is too expensive" argument: things get cheaper when they're mass produced. Solar power for a single home is very expensive. Solar for 50 homes in a farm on cheap, desert land, is cheaper. If the country just said fuck it, we're sinking money here, we'll give subsidies like they do to farm soybeans, it would get cheap real fast. Its a catch-22, b.s. argument. It would get cheaper if it were mass produced.

Exactly. Look at LCD TVs.

Dear Sarah Palin,

Oil industry has destroyed every aspect of Louisiana's coastline (except oil-related jobs). Pollution, prevention of marsh restorations, shitty landowners, and subsidence rates like you wouldn't believe. Doesn't matter how far in or out you drill. Without adequate contingency plans, regulatory oversight, and reinvestment into environmental projects, you're fucking us all.

In conclusion, just as you abruptly quit your obligations as a state governor I beg you to please shut your cock-holster and quit polluting stupid American's minds.

Love,

Louisiana

[image]