insubordination fest

Had a pretty decent time at Insub Fest. Menzingers, Smoking Popes, and Less Than Jake were my highlights. I wasnt sure how LTJ would go over with the crowd, but playing their album Losing Streak seemed to win everyone over. I'll be very happy if the rumors of it coming to Philly next year prove to be true as I'll only have to drive 5 minutes to go! I think every band I watched had something negative to say about the people running Sonar.

Fuck Sonar man. 5 dollars for a PBR. No fucking thanks. The first day when they were allowing re-entry, we just went to my friend's hotel room around the corner, pounded Boh's and headed back.

Save for the Sonar bullshit, I had the best time ever. I'm not sure if it was also because of all the awesome people I was with. I got felt up by canadians. I became a canada magnet the day I wore my Flyers shirt. I was basically perma-drunk/stoned the past few days too. Oh yeah and Steinways played a reunion set.

Ended up seeing: Night Birds, Dear Landlord, Kepi Ghoulie (both sets, easily one of my favorites), The copyrights, The Hextalls, American Steel, The Queers (another one of my favorite sets), House Boat, chinese Telephones, Dopamines, The Leftovers, Steinways, Max Levine Ensemble, The Menzingers (and the other absolute favorite set of the weekend), The Methadones, Teenage Bottlerocket, and Smoking Popes

Also another bad thing about Sonar, apparently bands weren't getting paid....someone from a reputable band who was hanging out with us at the hotel kind of brushed on the subject. We didn't want to press him about it.

A lot of bands were tellling people to steal as much shit as they could from the venue. Lulz. I really do hope they move it to Philly next year. I jsut don't know where they'd have it though.

Straight from the Insub Fest myspace:

Hey, I'm sure you guys are already aware, but Sonar was completely embarrassing and disgusting in what they did with the festival this year. Charging $5 for a 12oz. Natty Boh and 1 Pint PBR was a absurd enough, but come Saturday they implemented a no re-etry rule (even for people 21+). That might be OK in theory on a 1 night show with a high !turnout band; but for a 12 hour festival (of music centered on a scene in which the music promotes the integrity of the music and message over monetery profit), it is absolutely unfounded and embarassing. People flew in and drove in from as far as North Carolina, Buffalo NY, and Sacramento, California for this festival. For this to be their first impression of Baltimore and the east coast music scene is a travesty. These bands need to sell merch to fund their tours and livlihood, and patrons of this festival are buying less merch due to the absurd beer prices and the lack of ability to drop off bought merch at a hotel room. This festival lasts 12 hours on Saturday, it is inhuman to expect people to force themselves to be couped up in the same small building for half a day. We know it isn't the employees and bartenders fault, so I still make sure to tip a dollar per drink, but whoever the out of touch; inhuman, soulless asshole is who owns and makes the business decisions for Sonar needs to come back down to earth. It is embarrasing. I have the advantage of having a public medium and knowing enough people and connections to have my voiced opinion taken to heart, and I and those close to me will never attend another show at Sonar regardless of who or when. This is really depressing you guys. But fuck Sonar for their business actions this past weekend. Hopefully Insubordination Fest finds a new venue for next year, but I fear this was the last.

Also another bad thing about Sonar, apparently bands weren't getting paid....someone from a reputable band who was hanging out with us at the hotel kind of brushed on the subject. We didn't want to press him about it.

If this is true, it's got nothing to do with Sonar. That would all be on the people that run the thing.

I don't know what a band like Less Than Jake asks for, but in the past smaller bands have been screwed because Ben Weasel (for example) had a ridiculously high guarantee.

shit was great.

dopamines were rad telling everyone to steal and break shit. then giving 150 bucks to the bar so people could get some free beers.

owth set was pretty good, other then only play for like what 15 minutes? weak.

seeing mikey erg on stage with pretty much every fucking band there was quite hilarious. oh, and the hamiltons, fucking genius.

steinways reunion was great as was houseboat.

i was pretty much wasted through the weekend, and if i met you on thursday i apoligize, as i was pretty much out of control. (i was the dude who jumped on grath's car.)

I wasnt sure how LTJ would go over with the crowd, but playing their album Losing Streak seemed to win everyone over.

they played it in it's entirety? that's awesome, what else did they add in? (if anything), also did they play the track 'Losing Streak' ? I would love to see them play that once.