Vinyl distortion?

i think it really comes to down to physics. the closer you get to the center, the shorter the groove revolution is, and the harder it is for the stylus to properly track in the information. this is why i don't really like listening to 7 inch records.

it can be worse if you have an automatic return function on your table. if the auto return switch isn't setup properly, it could start to trigger before the end of the record, causing a little more friction and distortion. i had this problem, and after having it tweaked by my local service shop (a very simple adjustment) there was definitely an improvement.

of course, a misaligned cartridge can give you a number of playback issues, including distortion. always make sure your cartridge is properly aligned. if you don't know how, take it to someone who does.

if you search google, you will find tons of discussions about this and other caveats of the vinyl world by some real audio nerds.

It's just the nature of the vinyl record. If your cartridge is aligned properly it should hardly be noticeable. Also some carts/styli help reduce inner groove distortion as well. Sometimes if a record is played a lot on low end equipment or misaligned carts for a extended period of time the record can develop inner groove damage which gives the same sound as inner groove distortion, but damage can't be fixed by aligning a cart, the damage is done.

I would first align the cart and see if that cuts down on it. Just imagine the edge of the record has the same amount of information as the center, but in the center each rotation is much shorter so the information is closer together which some carts have a hard time dealing with.

Like "danfury" said this is also why I don't like playing 7" records as well.