STICKS&STONES: 1987 - Chunksaah Preorder

Super excited about this! In my opinion, Sticks and Stones were the best band to ever claim NJ as their home, and this is where it all begins. More info, funny old photos, a song, and much more at http://www.chunksaah.com/1987 but here are the basics.....

STICKS AND STONES: "NINETEEN EIGHTY SEVEN"

Chunksaah Records / Gunner Records

U.S. Street Date: October 12, 2010

Preorder Available at http://www.chunksaah.com/store

[image]

A one-sided 12" EP backed with an engraving of the classic 80's-90's New Jersey Hardcore band's iconic logo. This is the first time ever release of the group's original 6 song Demo.

Showing surprising maturity and musicianship for a gang of 17 year olds and their adopted 21 year old singer, "1987" features members who would go on to be dead, missing, playing in the popular World/Inferno Friendship Society, cutting their teeth, bloodying their knuckles and sharpening their minds on outrage barely contained by melody. At the time compared to Stiff Little Fingers, "1987" was recorded at the then fledgling Trax East Studios, and gained the band a contract to 7Seconds' Positive Force label that helped kick start the legendarily fecund New Brunswick, NJ punk scene.

Honest, intelligent, angry Punk Rock from Ronald Reagan's Amerika. Hello!

• 2 weeks later...
sigh, a $9 ep.

A cool idea, love the band, but too much for an EP with 1 song I don't know/not on the discography CDs

As far as I can tell, none of these recordings were on the discography. You can't even go to the movies or buy a cocktail in Manhattan with $9. I say quit whining.

I pre-ordered mine in both colors. Fucking psyched. I hope these recent releases (aside from this one, the re-release of their first 7" "World to Be Saved...") signal the possibility of a reunion show, since I never got to see'em live.

sigh, a $9 ep.

A cool idea, love the band, but too much for an EP with 1 song I don't know/not on the discography CDs

As far as I can tell, none of these recordings were on the discography. You can't even go to the movies or buy a cocktail in Manhattan with $9. I say quit whining.

I pre-ordered mine in both colors. Fucking psyched. I hope these recent releases (aside from this one, the re-release of their first 7" "World to Be Saved...") signal the possibility of a reunion show, since I never got to see'em live.

a) don't live in Manhattan, so I don't think that's an issue.

B) don't drink so, see a)

c) while I appreciate the need and want for everything to be available... and I've argued with bands a few times with releases I've put out about including things like demos for the sake of posterity... but it's one song, as far as I know unreleased, that I'd be curious to hear and alternate versions of other songs I have on several different formats...so when I see $9 + shipping, that's a bummer to me. Call the wahmbulance or whatever...

"Society's Pressure" is the only original demo track on The Strife and Times.

Four of the other tracks were rerecorded at various points in their career and released on the Inner Revolt cassette, Storm Coming 7", and The Optimist Club LP. All of these rerecordings were included on the Strife and Times.

"Still" was also on the Inner Revolt cassette but not included on The Strife and Times.

All six 1987 demo tracks have been remastered for best possible quality.

Movies are expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually thought the white vinyl w/ etching turned out a lot better than I was expecting...I think I prefer it.

I wouldn't try to sell anyone on the brilliance of Sticks and Stones with this release (that's what "Theme Song for Nothing" is for) but for fans (especially if you already have "The Strife and Times"), these versions really shed an interesting light on this bands earliest moments. And when I got the master, I was shocked to hear how good they sounded.

There is still a significant amount of unreleased S&S stuff floating around (like an unreleased alternate studio version of "Saved", some really interesting live stuff from WFMU, and probably some stuff I don't know about) so hopefully this won't be the last release we see. I'll take whatever I can get!