people bitching about the price of records

flood

ALSO, people in the US should be glad they don't live overseas and have to pay more for shipping than the record itself.

Ummmmmm, actually this hits us too, unless you magically only buy records released and sold in the US, and if that is the case you might need to expand your taste a bit.

What is worse it that as the dollar has gone down its gotten MUCH more expensive to order records from only. I had to stop buying Subliminal Sounds releases due to the massive conversion rate.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to interrupt the alicia stuff, but on the subject of record pricing, if you get a record pressed on three colors (say, 300 black and 100 of two other colors), about how much does that increase expenses for the label vs. just getting 500 on black?

and is it more economically viable (put a not in front of that and consider it a not so subtle hint that I'm still waiting for you to (re)press that, justin ;)) to do a smaller pressing on a number of colors than just a bunch of black (say, 100 of 3 different colors vs. 500 on black, or whatever would be equivalent cost-wise) in order to help alleviate the problem of having records sitting around for years?

and btw, in no way is this directed specifically at underground communique (other than the methadones reference), that's just the comment that provoked my question

I have the reference lacquer for the Not Economically Viable LP now...shit is progressing!! I'm going to actually listen to it in a little bit.

It honestly affects the price of the project by several hundred dollars, but in a very weird way, in all of the hilarity/facepalm inducing-ness - people will flat out refuse to buy records on black vinyl. it's fucking stupid, I've seen this countless times in person and seen it mentioned on multiple messageboards and have even had bands on my label request that there not be any black vinyl.

So We, or fuck that, I'll speak for myself on this topic...I have to try to find that happy medium of either not ordering black at all or having black be the "rare" option.

Wow! I didn't know most people would refuse a black vinyl. It's still the coolest-looking color in my opinion and it lasts.

I can understand that some would want the rarest but not everybody...

another option is to ditch the "i NEED this record today" attitude that so many people have adopted nowadays. So some fancy reissue is 25 bucks brand new. If you wait 6 months or a year and enjoy the other music you have, you will probably be able to find a copy cheaply in someones 5$ sale, or in a used bin at a record store, or even some cheap 0.99 ebay sale. or maybe you can get it in a trade with an internet buddy for something you no longer listen to.

patience has saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars over the years.

This. Converge's "On My Shield" sold for $7 new and immediately starting going for $50 on ebay. Now I'm seeing it go for less than $20 on here and on ebay.

I don't think anybody bought it for $50 thus the price drop. Maybe a few of the euro tour presses pulled that much.