"Burning In" New Head Phones...

derek123

I just ordered a new pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 head phones. I read quite a few reviews on these before buying them, and found out that these, and other head phones, need "burning in". Which I guess just means some hours of playing time before they sound their best. So, anyway, I read in another review, that a guy had downloaded a few hours of "pink noise", and played it through the M50's while he went out, to burn them in. Does anyone know where I can download anything like this? Or another good way of burning them in? I could just listen to music to do the job, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to pump something through them for a bit while i'm out of the house.

I know a guy doing this with his brand new car stereo speakers because the guy at the shop told him it was best to do.

So you paid how much? And you can only play it how loud? for how long? ::)

almost as stupid as buying monster cables or filtering your electricity through a special power conditioner box.

"Burn in" is real, but most of the time people don't use source components that will show any difference, as they are low quality. Granted most of the time its craziness, but with Voice Coils (Speakers, headphones) its quite evident.

ATH-M50's are quite nice and do sound better with a few hours on them. At first I found them to be quite bright and harsh, but the bottom end came in within a couple hours and they smoothed out considerably. As far as the pink noise treatment, don't bother, just listen to them, its kinda fun hearing the differences once you replay a very well known to you piece. But if you must burn them in with some noise, just tune in some FM static and leave them for a few hours at low to moderate volume. That will break them in a bit, but don't leave them like that for more than 6 hours and don't leave them to loud, the drives will heat up and you might damage them and get some weird distortion.

Enjoy your new headphones!

I heard that whenever you buy a new record, you are supposed to rub crushed glass all over your girlfriend's cat before you can really get the deepest, richest tones. I don't know. I have been doing this for a while (until my girlfriend's cat died), and I think it makes a difference.

I got her a new one for Xmas. You don't even want to know what you're supposed to do to break those things in. Yeesh.