new get up kids.

I don't expect them to write another STWHA. I don't even like that album. And I think it's bullshit that people who like this album write off people who dislike it as not understanding that it's a 'more mature effort' or some other such crap. This album to me just sounds like a bunch of teenagers attempting to make an album for the pitchfork crowd, and not a bunch of 30 somethings drawing on all of the influences that they've had over the last 15 years and creating something exciting. It's not a logical progression to their sound at all. While it isn't my favorite album, The Guilt Show makes perfect sense as something the guys that wrote Four Minute Mile would write ten years later. There Are Rules just strikes me as a flailing attempt to remain relevant.

I don't think you have any idea what the pitchfork crowd likes if you think this was written for them. Guilt Show is the only record of theirs that doesn't fit into the discography for me, so it's interesting that you bring it up. That record felt like them pandering to all the fans they lost when On a Wire ended up not being what they were expecting.

There is nothing here that hasn't appeared on their earlier records (though I think There Are Rules sounds most like Eudora) from the 80s pop to the wave of fuzz. There's some Spoon influence, but that's to be expected since they shared as member for a couple years.

I get that there are detractors, it wouldn't be a Get Up Kids record without them. Every single record these guys have put out since STWHA was met with "Wait, why did they change their sound!" and lots of hate. Personally I dig that the band is constantly changing its sound, but even if you don't sitting down and listen to their records in order at least shows a common theme. But when STWHA came out I heard they were trying to sound like Saves the Day now. When On a Wire came out they were trying to write a Pitchfork record. When Guilt Show came out they tried too hard to write STWHA about again, and came out with a record that's 3/4 good and 1/4 awesome.

GUK have changed drastically from record to record since their early days. It's nothing new.

I don't expect them to write another STWHA. I don't even like that album. And I think it's bullshit that people who like this album write off people who dislike it as not understanding that it's a 'more mature effort' or some other such crap. This album to me just sounds like a bunch of teenagers attempting to make an album for the pitchfork crowd, and not a bunch of 30 somethings drawing on all of the influences that they've had over the last 15 years and creating something exciting. It's not a logical progression to their sound at all. While it isn't my favorite album, The Guilt Show makes perfect sense as something the guys that wrote Four Minute Mile would write ten years later. There Are Rules just strikes me as a flailing attempt to remain relevant.

Couldn't agree more. This is a really painful listen. Never again. :'(