Silverstein planning Record Store Day 7-inch

From http://www.ampmagazine.com/9330/silverstein-interview-with-shane-told/

God that’s insane.  What’s the big difference between your new record company, Hopeless, and Victory?

That’s a good way to ask without trying to get too personal. We signed to Hopeless because we have an eye-to-eye vision with them, with what they want to achieve and what we want to achieve. They’re a punk rock label and they’ve been around a long time. They understand where we come from, our background- which is DIY punk shows. That’s how their label operates, like this is our job and this is how we make money. But at the same time we still understand the grass roots of it, and we’re still doing it for fun.  So I really like that about both of our organizations you know?  Whereas, Victory, and I don’t wanna talk shit, but they really just kind of are like a corporation, they are very driven on what’s gonna sell, how many copies of whatever they’re gonna sell, and a lot of times that held us back from a lot of the things that we wanted to do.  I don’t know if I’m supposed to tell you this but I’m going to anyways.  There’s Record Store Day in April, and we’re doing a special 7” record for Record Store Day.  Which will be really cool!  We really wanted to do it, but we never were able to do it until now.  It’s not something that were going to make any money doing and it’s going to cost us money, but we just really want to do it.

It’s just a good experience?

Yeah!  We just wanna support Record Store Day, and it’s just fun for us, and we love 7” records and we wanted to do that you know? And Hopeless was totally like, “Yeah!  We totally love it!  Here take some money and go record songs for it, and do it up and we’ll do the artwork!” So, at the same time that we wanna sell records and be able to do this as a career and make money and live and you know sustain ourselves, we still wanna be able to do these things and stuff that are fun and are really enjoyable to us, you know exciting to us! So that’s kinda where Hopeless and Victory differ, kinda why we went with Hopeless, because of the ideas, you know? And there are a lot of times, like we were talking yesterday about artwork and packaging and stuff.  With Victory we were putting our records in jewel cases, plastic jewel cases, which are cheap to make, but aren’t very good for the environment, ya know?  So we didn’t really wanna do that, but that’s the way it was!  Jewel case, booklet you know?  So now we’re able to explore some different options with artwork and packaging and stuff so all those things are just things that make us feel really really good about what we’re doing.  Rather it just being like “Art vs. The Corporate World”, we’re kind of able to co-exist with both of those things happening at once, which is like a really good feeling.  Where you can not only do what you wanna do artistically, but also feel good about profiting off of it, do you know what I mean?

• 1 month later...